14

Another chaper!

Mary started at her shaking hands and mentally scolded herself for acting stupid. It was just a phone call. Taking a breath to steady herself, she dialed the number in front of her. As the phone rang, Mary went over everything that she planned to say in her mind.

"Hello?" the smooth voice answered.

"Johnathan, its Mary. We need to talk," Mary stated, running her fingers along the edge of her desk.

"I figured as much," Johnathan replied, mirth filling his voice.

Mary pursed her lips, "I'm glad you find this amusing," she snapped, then refocusing her attention, she continued on, making sure to stick to her script, "I think we should meet and talk about our plan of action."

"How are you sure I want to be seen with you? For all I know, you're trying to lure me away and steal my virtue," Johnathan joked, though in the corner of his mind he wanted to see more of Mary. He just couldn't decide which part of him wanted to see her more. The part of him that genuinely enjoyed her company or the part of him that was planning to manipulate her into relinquishing her hold on his company.

Mary bridled her tongue and reminded herself that arguing with Johnathan was equivalent to arguing with a four year old. She racked her mind for something non-insulting to say back, but was saved the trouble as Johnathan spoke again.

"Relax Mary," he breathed, "I was just kidding, people still do that you know."

"I know what a joke is," Mary replied, "I just haven't found any of yours to be particularly funny. But, that is beside the point. When are you available?"

"Around lunch time, from twelve," Johnathan replied.

"Great, meet me at Jonny's, okay? I hardly think that anyone would follow us there," Mary stated, jotting down a note as she spoke.

"Sure," Johnathan said.

...

Johnathan hung up the phone, feeling very successful. He looked up to see his father's hungry eyes trained on him, a feral grin was stretched across his lips.

"So?" Johnathan's father asked.

Johnathan grinned smugly, "She doesn't suspect a thing," he said, leaning back into his seat.

Johnathan watched as his father circled around the room, writhing his hands in a manner that could only be described as evil. A malicious light glinted in his eyes as he muttered the plan over and over under his voice.

"Dad, sit down, you're pacing again," Johnathan commanded, a cold edge on his voice.

"Don't talk to me in that tone of voice," his father snapped backed, but sat down anyway.

Johnathan frowned before he replied, "Listen, you need me more than I need you. You would do well to remember that. Just because I'm going along with this doesn't mean that I can't walk out whenever I feel like."