Chapter Eight

We sit silently in car, both staring ahead into the distance. “So, should we go now?” Damion asks, breaking the silence.

I nod, letting out a sigh as I unbuckle my seatbelt. I open the car door and step outside, taking a deep breath as I look to the clear, blue sky. I walk over to Damion who is stepping out of the car, nervously gliding his hand through his hair. You can tell that he’s nervous, although he’s holding a brave face. We begin to walk towards Starbucks and I suddenly spot my parents in the distance, sitting outside talking to a waiter.

“That’s them, you see the woman in the red shirt? That’s my mom,” I say.

Damion nods, “Should I not be holding your hand or something, I mean we’ve got to look like we’re a couple,” he suggests. I nervously look at him, considering his offer. I sheepishly smile at him then hold out my hand.  He plants his hand in mine and entwines his fingers in between as the corner of his lips turn up. My small hand fits into his manly hand perfectly. 

It’s been a while since I’ve held a guys hand and it feels pretty good. I suddenly remember the times Derek and I would stroll through the park, hand in hand as we would dream of our future together. We would name our children, Isabelle or Jasmine for a girl and Jason for a boy and think of the grand house we were going to buy together. My face falls as the memory fades away and I look to the floor. Damion squeezes my hand, reassuring me that everything’s going to be okay. 

As we walk closer towards Starbucks my mother spots me. She beams up at me and waves her hand in the air, signalling me over. I take a deep breath and walk towards her, putting on a bright smile. Damion softly rubs his thumb against mine as my body tenses.  My mom’s wearing a red floral shirt tucked into white linen trousers. Her brown but slightly grey hair softly hangs on her shoulders and she is wearing light lipstick. She’s wearing the red earrings that I got her for her birthday. She does try her best to look fashionable, which is good I guess. I look towards my father and I see him sitting back in his chair, relaxed as always. He’s wearing a plain white shirt tucked into his brown trousers and he’s reading a large newspaper. 

 "You’re here, I thought you would never turn up,” My mother says, gleaming at me as I take a seat in front of her.

I lean in front of her and plant a kiss on her cheek, “I wouldn’t stand you up mom,” I say as I softly laugh, burying all of my nerves. I take a seat and lean forward to kiss my father as he places his newspaper on the floor. He smiles softly at me, his brown eyes glistening in the light.

“Mum, dad, this is Damion,” I say.

“Hi there,” My mother says as she smiles up at him politely.

Damion smiles warmly at her and says, “Nice to meet you Mrs Stewart,” and then softly kisses her cheek as he takes a seat.

“Ooh,” she says, giggling.

“Nice to meet you sir,” Damion says as he reaches out to shake my father’s hand. 

My father smiles and shakes Damion’s hand politely, “Hello.” Damion relaxingly takes a seat, not a trail of fear lurking on his face.

“So how have you been darling, I was beginning to think that you were ignoring me,” My mom says.

I nervously swallow and say, “It’s just that I’ve been really busy lately with work and stuff.”

“And how is work?” My dad asks, glancing up at me.

“Oh it’s good, you know, just as normal,” I say.

“Do you want a drink?” My mother asks.

“Yeah, I’ll just have a caramel Frappuccino,” I say.