Chapter 1

Kayla: 8 weeks pregnant

I pace back and forth in my bathroom, lines of sweat forming on my creased forehead as I stare down at the stick that I'm holding in anticipation. Please, no, please, I pray silently. I carefully place the pen shaped object on an empty spot on the floor, before gaping in horror at the other pregnancy tests, their torn boxes and instruction leaflets that coat the floor.

A frustrated moan escapes my mouth, sounding silent compared to the roaring cries coming from inside. Half-heartedly, I fall back onto the closed toilet seat, where my head gradually rests against the wall and my brunette hair falls across my face. Staring straight ahead, my gaze catches my reflection in the tall mirror, hung behind the closed door.

I roll my eyes in exasperation and gaze at the pale faced, brown-haired girl with grey eyes, the white's blood shot from her saddened cries. My hair is anything but pretty as it hangs long below my shoulders, in need of desperate haircut, but a haircut is the last thing on my mind right now. 

My gaze reaches the wall where the ticking clock hangs, and I roll my eyes to see that only a minute has passed. I've never studied my bathroom in such detail until sitting here and waiting for these dreaded results. My eyes scrutinize the large, round, white, roll top bath to the right of the room with their silver modern taps. The paper white shower curtains hang loosely, hiding away the bottom section of the bath.

The identical sink reflects the design of the bath, with turquoise blue stones, lined along the countertop. Another mirror, large and square, hangs above the sink, which has had the delight of witnessing my ghostlike figure in the morning, transform into an alive being, after showering and applying my makeup. The walls are painted turquoise with beautiful white vines spiralling from a half way point to the ceiling.

My attention draws back to the pregnancy test lying on the floor. It's such a simple little item, but carries such life changing results. The tension inside of my stomach grows, tugging and twisting at its walls which makes me feel a little light headed. Never have I been this nervous, ever.

I sigh heavily, closing my eyes as I stand up and cautiously pick up the pregnancy test. There's still hope that maybe this one will be negative and prove that the previous ones are wrong. Besides, these things are always wrong, right? My subconscious snarls at me, mouthing the words hoe whilst shaking her head in disgust. Shaking my own head, I desperately try and eradicate the voice from inside. I slowly close my eyes and bite my bottom lip, my teeth digging deep into my skin in desperation, this really has to be negative, I can't be pregnant, I just can't be.

My eyes slowly reopen and the first thing that I see are two, red, straight lines. I gape at the red lines, my world collapsing around me. A baby. A baby? But I don't want a baby ... well not yet. Shit. No matter how much I tried to convince myself that my constant vomiting was because I ate something bad, my urge to pass out sleeping was because of my hard day at work, or that my stomach cramps were because my period was finally coming, I kind of always knew, but I always too scared to find out.

The pregnancy test slides from my fingers and joins the rest that are scattered across the floor. My body, weak and weary falls back against the wall, before slowly descending to the floor. My mind is racing, pregnant? I should be happy, I know I should be happy, in fact, overwhelmed with joy, but I'm not. This is too soon; far too soon, besides, I'm way too young. Surely I should be thirty at least, and married with a loving husband, not a single, twenty three year old girl who doesn't know the slightest thing about being a mother. What about my shop? Who's going to run it when I'm at home changing diapers and cleaning up vomit? What about Damion and me? Well there is no Damion and me, I remind myself. I barely know the guy. Oh shit, he's going to freak out, I just know it.