104 ~ Melkor

Melkor strode out of the Maia's chambers, sending rippling tremors through the whole fortress, the entirety of the structure shaking from the very foundations with each of the Vala's steps, with each of his heartbeats. Angband turned into a carnal mirror of its master's mood that day, and many other after.

He chose to stroll through the many lonely chambers. And then climb up in the high towers, watching his morbid kingdom from above. And then descend deep down in the cold dungeons pulsating with the prisoners' anguish.

He thought for a long time. For an excruciatingly long time. For no, Mairon couldn't be right. His authority was unshakable. His will was keeping Arda together, he knew it. The dark spells whispered amid the barbaric song of the swords and shields clattering in the chorus before his troops left for the battle, dripping like molten gold from his tongue, that is what kept everything in perfect order. It couldn't be otherwise.

And that is why his subjects and underlings could never question him or his power. His lieutenant crossed a line, and therefore he chose not to come to visit anymore.

And yet...

Yet he listened. Carefully.

And there might have been one orc snorting at some ill-humoured joke about his interest in the captains' well-being.
And perhaps he did hear a group of Balrogs  and Vampires arguing over positions and ranks.

Well, perhaps there were... quite a few misunderstandings going on in Sauron's abscene. But he could manage them, surely. With a piece of advice. Later.

Whilst all things fell scarily quiet, as though a veil keeping everyone asleep had been thrown over his lands, Melkor's desires started to awaken. And since he decided to keep a grudge on his lieutenant, the irksome task of warming his bed fell upon the shoulders of the unlucky vampire, Thuringwethil.

The Vala eventually decided that maybe, just maybe, it was time for a small talk with the Maia.