Love Story

Deeks POV

She's dead. I can't believe it. She's dead. She's dead. She's dead.

I keep repeating it over and over again in my head but I still don't fully comprehend it. It doesn't make any sense.

She was afwul to us. She tortured us all emotionally and physically. We were her pawns, little things she could use to her advantage to get whatever she wanted.

But when she wasn' herself, her creepy super-spy undercover ninja-self, it was kind of like she was a normal kid. She played sports and texted friends and laughed and smiled a lot. She even helped me come up with the cover story that she was my sister.

She even visited me in the hospital.

You know, after she put me in the hospital.

But she was so small. She was a tall kid for a 14 year old, but really skinny. And she just seemed so small.

I still don't really understand how it became so complicated. She was so deep undercover for so long she forgot who she was. She made herself forget who she was.

I just said she was my sister. It was easy. Because when I said that, she was Callen's sister to me. I was helping a friend out. Hetty asked me to. But then it just got so complicated. Because she wasn't Callen's sister. She was an undercover Russian operative, best of her kind, who was recruited as a child after her parents died. She killed people for a living. Hetty says that by the age of 8, she was one of the deadlieset people alive. She was hired by God knows who to find things out about Callen. To get inside his head. To kill him. And after a while, she started believing her cover story. Because she was in it for at least 2 years. She actually thought she was who she pretended to be. Because kids can be so easily molded into what you want them to be.

But when I looked at her, I saw the kid who laughed at everything and ate an entire gallon of ice cream with Kensi and never wanted us to know when she was scared. That was the kid she wanted to be.

I think that's why she did it all. She wanted a chance to test out the life she could've had.

I guess we'll never know if she liked it.

"Deeks. Deeks, are you ok?" Kensi asks softly. I snap back into reality and realize that everyone is gone. We're the only ones in OPS. Geez, how long have I been standing here?

I turn towards her and sigh, blinking back tears. I look in her eyes, so filled with concern and tears and I remember that this was her friend too. I pull her into a hug.

"She's gone, Deeks," Kensi whispers into my chest. I squeeze her close.

"I know Kens. I know."

Kensi pulls away and wipes her eyes. "Ok?" I ask. She nods. "Ok."

"Ok, let's go get a beer, partner," I say, grinning at her. She smiles back. "Ok."

We get in her car and I drive towards the nearest bar. The car ride is dead silent, each of us thinking of our own memories with Samantha. She may have actually been Katarina, but she will always be Samantha to us.

We pull up in front of the bar and Kensi hops out. I turn off the car and walk over to her as she yawns. "Wow, too tired for a beer? You're getting old, Kens," I smirk. She looks at me, shocked. "I am not too tired. You'll see! I will totally outlast you tonight! Besides, I'm way younger than you," she says, patting me on the cheeck as she walks past. "Excuse me? You are not way younger. Like, maybe a year or two, but not like 10. Don't make me out to be some creep who prays on innocent young women," I defend. She snickers. "Who said I was innocent?" she says with a devilish glance back at me. I raise my eyebrows. "Well that was innapropriate," I state.

She cackles as I hold the door open and she walks through it. "You wish I would...." Kensi starts, but stops dead in her tracks once she gets through the door. I bump into her and look up to see what she's looking at. I quickly grab her arm and push her behind me. "Oh shit," I mumble as she fights me off.

"ON THE GROUND NOW!" A man in a black mask screams, shoving a gun in my face. "Ok, ok, I'm getting down, man. I'm getting down. Chill," I say, lowering myself onto my knees, then dropping down to the floor. I feel Kensi do the same right next to me.

He walks back over to tha bar and stuffs the rest of the cash into his bag. Then he walks over to the door, keeping the gun pointed at me. "Get up," he says, and I'm not sure if he's talking to me or Kensi. I hear her shift uncomfotably next to me as she whipers, "Don't do it."

"Dude, get up!" He yells, kicking me in the side. I suck in a breath as his foot hits me. I feel Kensi's eyes on me as I pull myself up to my knees and then to my feet with my hands locked behind my head. I'm face to face with the guy, his gun pressed against my chest. His eyes are an ice cold blue.

"The job is never done," he says. I look at him, confused, when I feel him grip his gun tighter. I shift turn to the side and feel the bullet rip through my side. I land on my back and yell in pain. "Deeks!" I hear Kensi yell, her voice breaking. I hear her start to get up when another gunshot goes off and she flops back down on the floor. Then another goes off.

I turn my head towards her and see the back of her shirt soaked in blood already, see the two holes. I reach out and she grabs my hand, squeezing it tight. I hear the gunman walk out of the store and pull out my phone, hitting the button on the side. Then I roll over onto my stomach so I'm closer to her. "They're on their way. Don't worry. Their on their way," I say. She nods. "Deeks, I-I-I" she stutters, not able to make out a sentence. "What?" I ask, starting to lose conciousness.

"We're gonna be ok." She says, her voice loud and clear. I look her straight in her gorgeous eyes and see the strength. I don't see any of the fear that I know is in my own. "Ok." I say, my voice trembling.

She smiles weakly at me as see her eyes begin to droop. "No, Kens, you need to stay awake. I need you to stay awake for me," I say, shaking her. "I'm trying- I, I promise, I'm trying...." she says, and then I hear the sirens in the distance as she squeezes my hand tightly.

"Kens, I'm gonna help you stay awake, ok? Ok. You see, you need to stay awake because if you're awake, you'll be ok. And if you're ok, we'll be able to get back to work. And our thing. And then we can move on. Move forward. We can live together, and eventually we'll get married. We probably won't have a big wedding, but it'll be bigger than a courthouse. We can invite your mom, and my mom, and Hetty and Callen and Sam and Eric and Nell and maybe even Granger. Maybe. And then we'll have kids. And you'll be a great mom. And we're gonna be really happy, ok? So you really can't pass out. You really can't, because I need you. I need you to be ok," I say, and feel my eyes brimming with tears.

"You wanna know why?" I ask, and she nods her head. The tears start to spill over.

"It's a love story," I say, beaming at her as the tears drip down my face. She smiles weakly at me.

"A love story," she whispers, smiling as she slowly lowers her head onto the ground. I move over to the wall and sit criss-cross. I pull her head into my lap and hug her as I feel her pulse getting weaker.

Th sirens grow closer and closer until I finally hear screeching tires in the parking lot.

Sam and Callen bust through the doors and immediately run over to me. Sam picks Kensi up out of my lap and runs her over to the paramedics.

"Deeks, what the hell happened? How could you let this happen to her?" I look up at him, into his eyes, and shake my head. "I-I don't know. I don't know," I say as he offers me a hand up. I grab it and hoist myself up as I feel pain shoot through my side.

I collapse back onto the ground and Callen quickly ducks beside me. As he yells at the paramedics my focus grows fuzzy and I can't breathe anymore. But that doesn't matter. None of it matters.

Because it's a love story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Authors Note~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's been so long. I've been having some writers block. I know, excuses excuses. It's taken me a while but this chapter is finally done! It's about five hundred words longer than the others because I felt kinda bad.

Anyways, remember to Comment and Vote. All feedback is welcome!

Thanks!