Chapter 47

April's POV
We both sat up at the same time. Sarah walked out. I hugged him quickly then stood up and together we walked out to dinner. We were having this really good,cheesy rice dish that Sarah was really good at making,mashed potatoes and green beans. It was one of my favorite dishes she made. We ate in almost silence as the weight of the doctors words hung over all of us and everyone else was too afraid to speak lest they break me. I start chemo next week once we're certain that I'm over this bout of pneumonia and my immune system as strengthened itself back up. After dinner,I walked to our room to grab clothes to take a shower. The water felt absolutely amazing and I took it really hot. I stood in there for awhile just crying wondering why I couldn't just be happy. Why I couldn't just be a normal girl. When I was done the mirror was completely steamed. I climbed into my pajamas quickly and took a quick look at my face once the mirror was clear of steam. I walked into our room and Leo was already asleep on the small cot type bed they set up beside the bed knowing that I may not want to be alone. I climbed into bed,pulled the covers up and turned out the light. I was going to fight this. I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep. I woke early in the morning again. The alarm clock told me that it was just after 3. It was almost easy to forget what the doctor said for a minute before it came crashing back in. I hugged my pillow tightly to me as I stifled a sob as the tears began pouring uncontrollably down my cheeks. Of course Leo woke up at this point and rolled over to look at me. When he realized I was awake and crying he gently slid onto the bed beside me. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to his chest. I could smell his familiar scent and this only made me cry harder. He stroked my hair gently. Shh,April,it's going to be okay,I promise okay,I'm here it's okay,shh,he whispered to me reassuringly trying to calm me down. Eventually I calmed down and lay in his arms staring at the ceiling. He must've thought I was asleep and made a move to get up but I grabbed his arm which kept him there. I moved closer to him and eventually I fell asleep there in his arms. I knew he wasn't quite asleep yet. When I woke again later that morning,he was still there. He was asleep. I felt bad keeping him up half the night. I checked the time. It was about 9 in the morning. I was feeling pretty tired. I carefully slid out of his arms so I didn't wake him. I stood up and stretched. I walked out to the kitchen. Sarah had wrote a note saying she was called into work this morning and didn't know when she'd be back home and that Adam was supposed to go stay at a friends house. Adam was on the couch with a bowl of cereal watching cartoons. I must've scared him because he jumped and turned to look when I pulled and pan out of the cabinet. Hey,April,he said. Hey,Adam,I answered him. He came out then and for some reason I didn't know just put his small arms around my waist and hugged me tight. I did not quite know the reason for this but returned his gesture. He looked up at me then and asked,"do you want to watch cartoons with me?" Sure thing but I'm going to make some breakfast first I'm pretty hungry,I replied. That was a small lie I wasn't hungry,I didn't have much appetite which let me know the doctors did not make a mistake. I started on some pancakes. When I was done I walked quickly back to our room to wake Leo. Leo,wake up,I said. There was no response. I made breakfast,I said right into his ear. At that statement I saw a smile appear on his lips as he opened his eyes and leaned up to kiss my lips. Well,good morning to you too,I said when we broke apart. Come on,I said and started to pull him up. I'll race you there,he said. Oh you're on,last one there has to wash dishes,I answered and took off out the door. I made it there first obviously. We kissed once more in the kitchen then grabbed a plate with some pancakes. He walked toward the table. Are you coming,he asked. Um,I actually told Adam I'd watch some cartoons with him if you don't mind,you can join us,I said. Oh okay cool,he said. We walked to the living room and sat down on the couch. Scooby-Doo was on. It was one of my favorite childhood cartoons. So I settled in to watch it and enjoy my breakfast. It was all I could do to finish the pancake but I did it. Now I was just going to act like a little kid for a couple of hours. When Scooby went off,I suggested going outside. It was fall and the leaves were falling. I wanted to make this day special so that when I'm stuck in the hospital for chemo and am sick to my stomach I have good memories to look back on. I went to our room and put on a pair of black leggings,a short sleeve shirt,and my favorite sweatshirt. I put on my black and pink Nike's. I walked out and realized they were already outside. I walked to the door and saw them there together and it made me realize that I was actually really lucky. I opened the door after blinking the welling tears from my eyes before they could spill over.  Hey,guys,wait for me,I said and began to walk down the stairs as the boys quit the small wrestling match as only brothers could do.