Chapter 18

A/N:I've added a song for this chapter called Don't Give Up by Shawn McDonald.

Leo
I had an accident. I was on my way to pick up some flowers to deliver to April before we were going to a date I planned. We were gonna have a fancy dinner and a movie. The next thing I knew I was sitting a stoplight and some car didn't stop. They lost control and hit my side of the car. I had lost consciousness at the scene. I was barely alive when the medics arrived. I was barely breathing. My chest hurt with each labored breath I took. My leg and arm hurt worse. I tried to force my eyes open. What the heck,I thought. Everything was quiet then. What about April,I thought when things came back to me. I was still unconscious and in a private room on the trauma floor at moms hospital. I've heard her a few times I want her to tell April because I need to see her and hear her voice but I don't want her too because I don't want April seeing me like this. I felt a tube in my mouth and down my throat. Mom left. I was surprised she left me after this she knows it's me she was apart of my trauma team. She's even talked to me. Oh,God,what if she's going to tell April. A tear slid out of my one eye unnoticed. I want to wake up. I want to move and open my eyes but I can't. Finally what seemed like forever later. A door opened and I heard a lot of crying that got softer. I didn't hear either of our moms she didn't run away did she? She sat next to me in the faux visitors chairs. It is okay to let go,I don't want you to leave me but if you need to I understand,she whispered in my ear leaning close to me. She laid her head on my chest and held my hand. She eventually fell asleep and only woke once I could tell when she moved because  a doctor came in to remove the tube from my mouth and throat. I am getting better right beings I can breathe on my own,that's a good thing? While she was awake she spoke again. Listen to me you are not aloud to quit on me,do you understand, I need you, please come back to me,come back to me,if you have to let go I will understand but choose to come back,choose me,I need you,but please don't let go,baby,please don't let go please do not leave me,I can't lose you,I can't live without you,she said beginning to cry again. She leaned in and kissed my cheek gently. Our moms were frantic on finding her but when they tracked her to the hospital they calmed down and decided to give her a little while. I woke next to her smiling the next morning with her still nestled on my  chest. That was the way she fell asleep I guess.I guess you found out I'm going to be okay I promise I wasn't done I ain't leaving you that easy,I explained. I smiled stroking her cheek,wiping the tears she didn't know were falling away, and now running a hand through her hair. I was released a few days later on crutches with a cast on my leg and arm but other than that I seemed unharmed. She never left for a second. She only went to chemo and came right back. I was riding in the passenger seat. Mom had to work so she promised to drive me home and stay with me. She didn't have a chemo session today. She drove silently watching the road with tears again slipping down her cheeks. She played the radio soft. She didn't speak hardly at all. She took her one hand off the wheel to wipe the tears away then placed it back on the wheel. Soon after she placed  her hand back on the wheel she removed her other one and sat it in the middle and I held it tightly with my hand that was didn't have a cast on it. She pulled into my drive and drove down the driveway up to the house. She pulled as close to the front steps as she could . I had three steps to go up. She parked her car and cut the engine. She climbed out and quickly walked to the other side and opened the door. She helped me to get out and stand. She grabbed my crutches and handed them to me. She closed the door and we began walking to the front steps. We made it up them without incident. She had held the front door open. The couch or your room,she asked me. The couch would be nice,I said and winced in pain. She had a backpack slung over her shoulder. She helped me to walk to the living room to the couch. My grandma knew we were going to be here. She had taken the kids out for a day at the park. I sat down and winced again. She moved the crutches out of the way. Do you want your pain meds now,she asked gesturing to her backpack. I nodded. She sat her bag on the floor and dug through it until she found the pills she was looking for. She went out and grabbed a bottle of water and a small leftover bowl of Mac'& Cheese. You have to eat some of this,she said. Alright,I said. I ate it and then she gave me the pill and the water. She curled up on the couch beside me and I lay down. My head was laying in her lap. She ran her fingers through my hair and just left them sitting there. She had previously cut the TV on for me  but I wasn't watching it. She was not really truly watching it either I guess. She sat there and watched me as I slept. She continued to sit there just thinking and watching me.She had tears sliding down her cheeks again. She had her head tilted back toward the ceiling and was crying. My voice brought her back to the present.