Chapter XXIII: Cars

I> means play the song! {Text} means italic, for all you mobile readers.

In the two weeks I've been back to school, I have gone to the doctor five times, gotten all my stitches out, and gone out on a date with Michael. For some weird reason, none of the new kids liked him. They were fine with everyone, except for him. Kes and Iris got along great. They were both short, so when we gave them crap about it, they teamed up against us. It was funny, actually. I had been calling Toby, Tony for a week before anyone corrected me. He and Bria were more than friendly with each other. It almost seemed like love at first sight. I didn't believe in that kind of thing, though, so it was more like lust at first sight. Love isn't something that can just happen when seeing someone. Love takes time.

Monday, on the third week at lunch, I saw Kes and Erin arguing. Usually by this time, Erin was taking up most of the table and scarfing down food. I swear she had multiple stomachs. They were standing away from everyone so their conversation wouldn't be heard. I, surprisingly, heard bits of it over the lunch-time chatter.

"... tell her eventually."

"... orders. We can't."

"I know, but she'll..."

"... doesn't matter. Do as you're told."

They didn't come to eat at all. The rest of the day, they ignored each other. When they were around me, I could tell something was up. The next couple of days, everyone was acting weird. My parents didn't press me for school details. Toby didn't try to pick a fight with Michael for getting "too handsy". Kes didn't stare at everyone like she hadn't seen another person before. Erin... was Erin. There really weren't any words to describe her. She was like on her own little planet most of the time.

I was sitting in the game room trying to beat one of my high scores, when dad joined me. Once I finished my game, he played with me. We shot each other more times than I could count. I ended up winning by two points. I hopped up and did a small victory dance.

"Your mom is out shopping, do you want to go to the tracks?" Dad asked.

I cut my dance off and started pulling my shoes on. "Let's go." I ignored the annoying little voice inside me saying that Mom would be mad. Sure she'd be peeved, but I didn't want to just sit around the house the rest of the day. Dad let me drive so he could make sure I still knew everything. When we got there, all the usuals were in their regular spots. We went straight up to Vern, the man that taught me the in's and out's of driving and cars, and also my grandpa. He was the best in his time. The only person that has been able to break any of his records was me. People have tried getting him to teach them what he knows, but he refuses.

"Grandpa!" I exclaimed, jumping into his arms.

"Serenity," he greeted, a smile on his face. "I haven't seen you around here in a long time."

"I know! Mom doesn't want me racing anymore, but, you know how much I love it."

"You were born with the racing genes."

Dad and him shook hands and got caught up. I started looking through the engine Grandpa had been working on. It was dripping greese and just calling my name. I grabbed the tools I needed and scooted under the car. I don't know how long I was under there, but just as I finished, someone pulled me out by my ankels. My eyes easily adjusted to the sudden bright light and I saw Dad standing over me, Grandpa right next to him. They were both smiling.

"Ser, when your mom sees how dirty you are, she's going to kill the both of us." Dad said. "At least go put on a suit."

"I have a better idea." Grandpa said. "That car you were working on is new. Why don't you go test it out for me? I don't trust any of these other guys with it."