Drew

*So I know that I haven't updated in like forever! But thank you guys so much for understanding that i am a 16 year old high school student in AP and honors level classes so i have a lot going on. Hopefully when school gets out i will be able to update more. Until then please enjoy this. I know it's really long and not for anyone but it was something that i wrote and am really proud of.*

           All his life Drew grew up with parents who were heavily involved in substance abuse. He never had a stable home and they were always running from something or better yet, someone. Junior and senior year of high school was the one time that Drew stayed put for more than six months. During this time he found out who he really was. He wasn’t Drew the drug addicts’ son, he was Drew the championship basketball player. The day he got his acceptance letter from Duke for a full-ride scholarship was the day his life changed.

             Freshman year started and everything was going great. Drew made A’s in all of his classes and got to play basketball everyday. His new girlfriend was beautiful and smart. Drew finally began to think that maybe the world wasn’t as bad as he thought when he was back home. While he was at a frat party one of the brothers offered Drew a blunt and that set him off. Running around the house Drew grabbed his girlfriend and his closest friends and stormed out. When they asked him why he was acting strange he just turned to them and said, “It’s not safe here anymore.”

             They packed their things and returned to Drew’s car to start their drive to the place Drew calls a “safe house.” After a while of silence in the car Drew’s girlfriend decided that it was time to get some explanations. “Drew why are you taking us away from the college?” “Drugs” Drew stated simply. “None of us were doing drugs though so why are you freaking out?” With a deep sigh Drew began to explain his situation back home to all his friends and his girlfriend. The whole story took about two hours to explain which flew by because before they knew it they were in a little country town parking in the driveway of a little abandoned looking house.

             “What is this place?” one of the other basketball players asked. “This,” Drew stated pointing at the house “is my aunt’s old house which she gave to me in case I ever needed to get away from my parents for a while.” Opening the door to the house brought back memories to the times when he was little and stayed with his aunt while his parents were fighting or too intoxicated to know that he was missing.

             “There are enough rooms here for everyone to share with one person.” Another one of the boys Drew brought along spoke up. “How long do you think we will be staying here?” “Until I think it safe enough for us to go back. For now I think we should split into teams and get some things done around here to make it more comfortable.” He looked around and everyone was nodding in agreement. Everyone split into to groups and began to do the work they were assigned like cleaning, cooking, chopping wood, tending to the outside of the house and so on. They continued their lives like this for the next 8 months with little discrepancies.

             It was starting to get colder outside which was beginning to match the thoughts of all the young adults living in the small quarters. “Drew I don’t think we can take this anymore. It has been eight months and none of us have been able to go to classes or see our families. I’m sorry but we need to go back home.” Drew’s girlfriend spoke up. “But babe I need you here with me so that you don’t become like everyone else in the world.” “Open your eyes Drew! Not everyone is like your parents. I know it was hard for you as a kid but you can’t keep running from life. If you want to stay here that is fine, but tomorrow morning everyone else including me is leaving.”

             The next morning his worst nightmares came true. Drew’s friends left him and his fear of the corrupt world to be by themselves. A couple days went by and things got worse. Not knowing what to do, Drew walked into town in search of something to ease his pains. He reached the local dealers corner and bought as much substance as he could pay for and headed back home.

             When he looked at himself in the mirror he only saw disappointment and failure because of what he was about to do. Slowly he unwrapped the parcel and began to do the one thing he promised himself he would stay away from. While he let the affects take hold in his body his pain began to fade away and Drew started to wonder why he hadn’t tried drugs before. For the next two hours Drew used the substance continuously as the high took away the feeling of emptiness that was left in him. Soon his eyes began to close and for the first time in his life he felt calm but in the seconds following his body went stiff and his blood ran cold. Drew had been taken away by the thing he tried so hard to fight.

 A/N: So i know that this is not something that i would typically post on here but i wrote it for an English assignment and i thought it was pretty good and that maybe you guys would enjoy reading it.

P.S. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALMSOT 100K READS!!!!!!!!!

XOXO- Jordy