Chapter 23 - Surprise!

-Jasmine-

I did my best to keep my eyes open in class. But somehow the more I fought off sleep, the more tired I feel. Last night, at the amusement park with Christian, we didn't get back home until 2am. And now here I am regretting my lack of sleep. However, I did not regret my night there. We rode every ride there was at the carnival and it was honestly the best time I ever had in a while.

I open my sketch book where I had pressed my lilac branch. I touch the leaves, admiring the light purple color in it's petals. First love, huh? I wonder when will they officially open the carnival for the year so I could go with Zac. I'm sure he'll love the scenery of the boat ride, and it's pretty romantic.

I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I glance back to see Liam gesturing over to our history teacher, letting me know to pay attention.

"He's about to go over the project." Liam informs in a hush tone. "Try not to fall asleep."

I nod and turn forward to the board. From the corner of my eye, I could Zac looking over at me in concern. But he didn't say anything, instead he focus his attention back to the lecture.

"Alright class, I'm now going to go over the projects for this marking period. I will divide you guys in pairs and assign you your subjects." Mr. Marks announces, grabbing a hold of a clip board to read off of. First project of the year for his class. I hope I get paired up with Zac, there's not a single subject that he's not good at. "First pair, Brandy Sales and Jack Richardson. Your subject is on the Roman empire. Next, Liam Perez and Zachary Hernandez, your subject is on the Mayan civilization."

I groan in disappointment, drowning out Mr. Marks words as he goes on with the list. Liam and Zac lean over their desk to high five one another. Liam then grabs my shoulders giving them a light squeeze.

"Looks like I lucked out." Liam comments with a smug grin. "With Mr. Straight A student over here, there's no way I'm failing this marking period."

"Lucky you." I huff. "I just hope my partner and I would be able to work well together. I really don't want to fail this."

Zac leans over to ruffle my hair, "If you need any help just text me. I'll be happy to help out." He offers with that heartwarming smile.

"After we finish our project of course." Liam chimes in. I playfully thrust my elbow back to give him a nudge. "Don't worry Jas, you're smart. You have nothing to worry about."

I nod, letting his words sink in. I haven't gotten a bad grade yet. Now what really matters is the subject and my partner. I hope we get an easy one.

"Jasmine Santiago." Mr. Marks starts causing me to perk up. "And Destiny Lopez. You're subject is on Ancient Egypt."

My eyes nearly pops out of my sockets after hearing who my partner was. I glance over to Destiny, who looks equally as shock from across the room. She turns her gaze over to me and immediately begins to glare daggers.

She raises her hand and stands, "Excuse, can I work with someone else please. Literally anyone else would do."

My jaw drop at her comment. Well I'm not dying to work with her either, but she doesn't see me complaining. My eyes scan over to see Liam's and Zac's expression, noticing their clear annoyance at Destiny's words.

"No can do. I've already assign the groups accordingly." He rejects her request. "What ever differences you two have, you'll just have to put aside and work together."

"But-" She begins but Mr. Marks cut her off.

"No buts. I don't want to hear." He interrupts and continues on with the list.