Part 36

Chapter 36

Celeste twirled the ring around her finger as the others stared at her.  She knew they wanted to hear her plan, that they wanted to know exactly how she was going to get them out of this mess.  There was only one problem; she didn’t know what to do.  Sure, there was the old plan, but how was she going to accomplish that when Antonio now had his hands on Aidirian’s bottle?  All they would have to do is wish that they knew all Celeste’s plans, and Aidirian would be forced to grant that wish.

With a deep breath, she smiled at the others still there.  Daryn lounged beside Star, petting her hair in a relaxing motion.  When she had told the others who had stolen Aidirian’s bottle, Daryn had been more than angry.  Things had been flung around the room, until finally Star calmed him.  Innocence had stood there, not looking surprised by the exchange.  How had this happened?  How had Celeste started with so many only to have three left on her side?

Something pulsed around her neck, making her glance away from her ring and towards her necklace.  That wasn’t true.  She didn’t only have three on her side; she had an entire army of Nephilim, an uncle who ruled all demonic people, and a father who could rally as many angels as needed.  Celeste was a force to be reckoned with.  She just had to keep reminding herself of that fact.

“I still don’t understand,” Daryn said with a sigh.  “Why are you not protected from Jinn?”

Celeste reached down, trying to pull the ring from her finger.  Just like always, the thing didn’t budge, didn’t move an inch.  “He sat it down on the table, and I picked it up.  He didn’t hand it to me with the offer of protection.  Not like everyone else.”

Innocence shifted on her feet, looking uncomfortable.  Finally, she let out a deep breath.  “Your father did not hand you the jewel and offer protection.  His was another that you picked up.”

“How did you—”

“I was following you even before you knew I existed,” Innocence interrupted with a shrug.

Celeste frowned.  It didn’t bother her that the fae had followed her; she didn’t expect anything less from their particular group of creatures.  What bothered Celeste was that the fae was right. Sure, her father had said that he wanted to help, but he had never handed her the jewel like the others did.  Still, the thing had merged with the other jewels.  All but Aidirian’s had merged together.

Daryn jerked up in his seat, understanding crossing his mind.  “It’s not that we have to offer you protection out loud, or even hand you the jewels.  It’s the thought that we put in them that determines what they are meant for.”

“You mean,” Celeste snapped as her hand curled around the necklace, “that one of these could have killed me if any of you put negative thoughts into it?”

“No,” Daryn drawled out, “we can’t put negative energies into them. To be honest, there are only two things our gems are made for, expressing protection or love.”

“My father loves me, and so does my uncle.”