Part 8

Chapter 8

“Are you sure this is it?”

Aidirian stared at the neon lights flashing in the window.  Loud noises echoed from the door, which didn’t stay closed long as people stepped in and staggered out.  A tall, built man stood at the door with a scowl on his face.  Anyone who walked in viewed him wearily.  Only a couple times, the man would stick his arm out.  The person who was attempting to get in would immediately step back and leave.

“Yes,” Celeste answered, breaking his concentration.  “This is the place.”

She walked towards it with a happy smile.  Her outfit of shorts and a shirt were now gone.  In its place was a clingy backless dress that tied around her neck.  Walking behind her, he wanted to step closer in order to make sure she didn’t kill herself with those ridiculous heels, but to his surprise, she walked just as well as she would have if she were barefoot. 

“Antonio!” she called out as she walked past the group of people standing near the door. 

The bouncer glanced over before doing a double take.  A small smile curled on the corner of his mouth.  “Well, Celeste, who would have thought you would be back so soon.”

She pressed a kiss to his cheek before beaming up at him.  “I wore your favorite color.”

“Red,” he said with a laugh.

She shook her head.  “Not any shade of red.” She did a little twirl before facing him once more.  “This is blood red.”

He shook his head at her before glancing back at Aidirian.  Not knowing what to do, he sent the large man a wave.  Antonio flashed his teeth in what was most likely meant to be a smile, and if Aidirian wasn’t mistaken, a couple of the man’s teeth were sharper than the norm.

“That’s right,” Antonio said, “that is my favorite.  Tell me, did you wear that for me?”

“Of course,” she started, “but I do have other business.”

“Of course,” Antonio copied before motioning her to go forward.

Celeste took a step towards the door before glancing over her shoulder.  “Are you coming, Aidirian?”

He followed behind as she stepped into the club.  Lights flashed from the ceiling, people danced on the floor, and music boomed from nearby speakers.  Aidirian had trouble seeing through the crowd, but he had no problem following the red gown that Celeste wore.  She weaved through the group of people, making her way towards an unknown place.  Finally, the people lessened and the music quieted to a bearable level.  Looking around, he wondered why they were here in the first place.

“Where are we going?” he yelled over the noise.

She glanced back at him before pointing towards a bar.  The bar stood alone, away from the people.  Surprisingly, there were only two people at the bar itself.   “It’s invite only.   The other bar is over there,” she said while pointing in the opposite direction.

He nodded, not seeing a reason to comment on the fact that she seemed to have an exclusive invite.  What kind of angel knew about a place like this, let alone had an exclusive membership?  He didn’t know, but as Celeste slid onto a barstool and smiled at the bartender, Aidirian really wanted to ask his questions aloud.

“Hey, can you get Daryn for me?” she asked the woman standing behind the bar.

The woman leaned forward with a flirty look on her face.  “Whatever you need from Daryn, you can get from me.”

“He has things that you do not know,” Celeste said in a clear voice. 

The bartender stood straight with a nod and a slightly dazed expression.  “I’ll grab him for you.  He’s in one of the back rooms.”

Celeste made a face as Aidirian sat in the seat next to her.  Turning towards him, she rolled her eyes.  “He does this for show more than anything.  He has to keep up with the image and all.”

“What image?”

She leaned closer to him.  “Because of what he is,” she whispered in his ear.

“What is that?” he asked, only to have a voice behind him answer.

“An incubus, of course.”

Celeste spun on her stool.  Hopping to her feet, she let out a happy laugh as she threw her arms around the man.  “Daryn, how are you?”

“Good now,” Daryn said with his eyes on Aidirian.  Aidirian shifted in his seat, attempting to get the other man’s gaze somewhere else.  “What is he?” Daryn asked with a slight glow in his eyes.

“Jinn,” she answered while taking a step back. 

The incubus walked towards him with a large smile.  “He has a lot of energy around him.  It makes me wonder…”

“Don’t,” Celeste warned with narrowed eyes.  “Keep your harpies away from him; he’s mine.”

“Oh, territorial aren’t you?”

“He’s helping me,” she said with a small smile in his direction, “unlike you.”

“I want a little of his energy,” Daryn mumbled as he stopped in front of Aidirian.

He leaned away from the incubus with a confused expression.  “Can I pass on that offer?”

The man let out a deep laugh.  “That is great,” he whispered.  “You have humor.  Very little people in this world still have humor.”

“Celeste?”

She turned towards him.  “Yeah, Aidirian?”

“Get your friend away from me,” he mumbled as the man took a sniff in his direction.

Daryn straightened.  “Sorry, it is just remarkable.  You have so much energy rolling around you, coming off you like waves.  The only other person I know who is the same is our girl over there, but she holds out.  Tell me, are you going to hold out?”

“Pretty sure I am.”

Celeste appeared between them.  Pushing Daryn back, she threw her arm over Aidirian’s shoulder.  “Tell me what you know, Daryn.”

“What do I get for the info, love?”

“How about a kiss?”

Daryn tilted his head to the side.  Holding out his hand, he smiled.  “Deal.”

Celeste reached her free hand out, but before grabbing it, she narrowed her eyes at him.  “Not enough energy to make me pass out.  Take only the small amount you need too.”

Daryn’s smile dropped.  “You’re no fun anymore, ma chère.”

“No sweet talk either,” she said with a smile while clasping hands with him.  “Is it odd that an angel is making a deal with a demon?”

“No,” Daryn answered with a shake of his head.  “I find it quite pleasurable.”

Aidirian stood, ready to pull their hands apart. When Celeste shook her head slightly, he backed off.  She knew what she was doing.  He was going to have to trust that her actions would help them in the long run.  Even though he knew this fact, he couldn’t help be worried when Daryn sent her a large smile.  “Deal?”

“Deal,” Celeste whispered.