Part 29

Chapter 29

She stood in her living room, knowing that this would be the last time she met with them all in some time.  Finally, she had put the pieces together; she had finally found out who exactly it was behind this mess, and with that information came the end of her time on Earth.  She would be forced to return home, even if the return was a short one.  Her father would want to know exactly what was happening, and her mother… Celeste’s thoughts halted.  How did her mother fit into this mess?  The woman had pretended to want to help her only to turn her back on Celeste.  Would her father be the same?  Would he look at her black wings and turn his back on her like her mother did?

“Celeste,” Aidirian mumbled to her left.  “You okay?”

Shaking her head, she cleared her thoughts.  “Yeah.  I’m fine.  It’s just odd, you know?  We went through all this, found all these allies only to realize that this fight is not as large as we thought.”

“There’s more to it than that,” Aidirian said, but luck was in her favor.  The last of their group popped into the room, looking annoyed at the intrusion.

Celeste smiled at the fae.  “Sorry, Innocence, but there is something I need to speak to you all about.”

“It is fine. You are not the one I am angry with.  The new Queen forbids me to visit you, but she does not realize that you are the one.  I’ve given you my word that I will protect you; without my word, I am nothing.”

“Uh,” Celeste stalled, looking towards Aidirian for help.  What was she meant to say to that?  This fae had gone against orders for a fraud.  Celeste wasn’t the one; she didn’t have anything more than the others did.  Sure, she had power, but it was what she was born with, no more than good genetics.  “I don’t know what to say,” she finally finished.

Aidirian smiled at her, and in the smile, it was clear that he found the situation amusing.  Celeste knew he felt the same as Innocence, that they both believed she was meant for something more important.  She wasn’t. 

Daryn took a step forward, separating himself from the crowd.  “You don’t have to say anything, chère.  You have given up many things for us in the past; it is time we do the same for you.”

“You don’t understand,” she whispered.  “This battle with the Nephilim, it isn’t real.”

Antonio smiled at her, his fangs flashing in the lights from above.  “Even if there was no battle, we would follow you.  Why is this so hard for you to understand?”  He waved his hand around.  “We are in this together.  You were meant to be a leader, Celeste.”

“I’m not meant for anything,” she argued.  “I’m nothing but a pawn.  I wasn’t even allowed to be an Archangel.”

“Why do you think that is?” Star purred.

Celeste stared at the succubus in confusion.  “I’m not fit for it.  I allow my emotions to rule my decisions.”

“Exactly,” Star said, her grin turning into a smile.  “You care too much.  You cared enough to save Daryn when he was hurt.  You cared enough to give Antonio your blood when he was dying.  You care about us, not because of what we are, but who we are.  Do you know what my mother told me?”

She shook her head. “No.”

Star walked towards her with a serious expression.  “She told me that in order to rule, your people must either fear or love you.  They love you Celeste.  All in their own way, but they do.  If there were going to follow someone into a battle, they would follow you because they know you care for their wellbeing.  You would not put them in a situation that would cause their deaths unless it was the only way.”  She paused, shaking her head and sending her long air around her shoulders.  “It is you who does not understand.”

“I didn’t know you felt that way,” she whispered.  Her words sounded inadequate for even her own ears, but to be honest, she was dumbfounded.

Daryn stepped forward.  He ran a hand down Star’s arm as he passed her, but when he stood in front of Celeste, he kept his hands to himself.  “Chère, we all feel this way.  We may be a small group, but with us you can fight whichever battle you choose.”  He reached up, tapping her throat above the necklace she wore.  “And do not forget that you are protected.  Not from the Nephilim, but from many other creatures.”  He paused, leaning forwards slightly.  Taking a deep breath, he smiled.  “Just as I thought.”

“Honestly?” Antonio asked with a frown.

Daryn nodded before taking a step away from her.  He looked towards Aidirian.  “You know this can be dangerous.”

“Yes,” Aidirian answered, “but I plan to keep her with me at all times.  Between her necklace and I, she will not be hurt.”

“I hope so,” Daryn mumbled before shaking his head.  With one last look at Celeste, he stepped to Star’s side.

Looking towards Aidirian, Celeste frowned.  “What does he mean?”

“Your soul, your being, it’s still intact.  It’s clean; just as it was when you were an angel.”

“And?” she asked with shrug.

Antonio cleared his throat as if to answer, but Innocence sent him a smile that made his mouth snap shut.  “What they mean, is that you are still you.  Many people, when they fall or become one of the darker creatures change. Even if they are good deep inside, they have dark parts of themselves that show when they should not.  You, you are still shining white.”

Celeste glanced down at herself and saw nothing but her red shirt. There was no white light, there was no beaker saying that she was truly herself.  How could they know that she had not changed?  How could they know that she would be a good leader?

An arm curled around her waist.  Aidirian pulled her back, molding her body into his.  “It is that doubt that makes you who you are.  It may sound ridiculous, but the best are those who are not arrogant, but know what they can do.  You’ll be fine, Celeste.  No matter what you decide; you will be fine.”

“Even if I decide to leave my sister alone and fight the Nephilim?” she asked, needing to know how much they truly meant their words.

“Yes,” Aidirian answered, tightening his grip on her.  “Even if you wish to fight the Nephilim, we will stand by you.”  He chuckled a little.  “But you’re not going to do that.”

She shook her head at him.  Even if he could not see the amusement on her face, she knew he could feel it.  “You think you know me so well.”

“I know you better than you know yourself, love.  Which is why you’re insane if you honestly think I’ll let you do what you’re thinking.”

“I need to talk to him,” she answered, trying to pull away from his grip. 

He kept her in his arms, not letting her run when she wanted too.  “There are other ways to contact your father.  You do not need to go back up there.  We can’t trust any of them, not after your mother and sister.”

“My father’s different,” she defended, but her words held no conviction.  She did not know if her father was any different, did not know if he would listen to her.

His arm loosened, but instead of freeing her, he turned her to face him.  Brushing a piece of hair from her face, he sighed.  “I cannot go with you.”

“I know.”

“I don’t like it.”

“I know,” she whispered.

“But I’m letting you go.”

A smile formed on her lips.  “I know.”  Leaning up, she pressed a small kiss to his lips before pulling back.  “If I don’t come back, I want you to know that I love you.”

Pulling away from him, she closed her eyes as he reached for her.  Opening them, she stared at the white walls.  She was home; she just hoped that her visit would be a welcoming one.