Part 21

Chapter 21

“Take the necklace off,” Drake mumbled, his hand reaching out to touch her, but stopping short. 

Aidirian watched the exchange, not liking that the man was going to bite her, but other thoughts floated through his mind, others that had to deal with Celeste’s safety.  He took a step forward, just enough to bring the vamps attention to him and off Celeste.  “She keeps the necklace.”

Drake’s finger reached out, tracing the area where her necklace was.  “It will get in the way.”

“No,” Aidirian said, “it won’t, because you’ll drink from her wrist.”

He saw the subtle freezing of the vampire, but didn’t comment on it.  Had the others noticed it?  Had they saw what he saw, understood what he did?  They should, seeing as they were all a little younger than he was.  They should know what is happening just from experience.  So, why was he the only one doing something about it?  Once he dealt with Drake, he would put the others to the test.  See if they were worthy of being around Celeste.

“I prefer the neck.”

“And I prefer that you don’t bite her at all,” Aidirian replied, taking another step towards the man and Celeste.  “Bite her wrist.”

“Aidirian,” Celeste started, sending him a look that told him that she didn’t understand what was happening. 

She was too naïve, something he would have to rid her of if she planned to fight this battle.  He wished he could let her keep her naivety; it was a part of her that he loved, but he wanted her safe.  If that meant showing her what the world was truly like, uncovering the truth, that was what he would do, and he would start here.

“Bite her.”

Drake shifted on his feet, looking at the others before settling his eyes on Aidirian.  “I would prefer to take my payment in another form than blood, a favor.”

“Bite her,” Aidirian demanded.

When the vampire shook his head, Aidirian knew he was going to flee before the man himself knew.  Diamond bars formed around all the exits from the room.  The whole in the wall was filled with it; the front door was filled with it.  Diamond wouldn’t keep the vampire in for long, but it was enough to keep the man from escaping before Aidirian could make his point. 

“You did that?” Celeste asked, and when he nodded, she smiled at him before raising her hand.  “I guess I’ll get more of these if you can pull this off.”

He laughed at her, but didn’t let the exchange distract him.  Celeste fall from heaven had made her feel free, but it also made her vulnerable.  Looking at Drake, Aidirian motioned towards Celeste.  “You don’t want to bite her, fine.  I don’t want you too either.  Hell, I don’t even want you to touch her, but you will.”

“Why would I touch her?” Drake asked, a nervous chuckle leaving his lips.

Aidirian shrugged, walking until his stood directly in front of the man.  “That necklace that Celeste is wearing is something else, isn’t it?  See, you all might not know exactly how it works, but I’ve heard tales.  Some that may be true, while others may be false.  One that I am inclined to believe says that one who means her no harm can touch her with no harm to themselves.”

“Daryn touched the necklace, and he was harmed,” Celeste mumbled. 

He took a second to glance back at her and smile before he turned back to Drake.  “He touched the necklace and was harmed.  He can touch you, and has, if he wishes you no harm.”  He stopped, watching the vampire’s color turn a little paler.  “Touch her, Drake,” he whispered.