Part 31

Chapter 31

Daryn was shaking his head at her before she could finish telling him her plans.  After she had returned, she knew that she needed to end this as soon as possible.  She needed to stop her sister before Gabriel caused more damage.  Celeste couldn’t sit back and wait for her sister to attack again.  She needed to go after Gabriel, make sure that she didn’t hurt any more innocents.

“I’m not letting you do this,” Daryn said, his face completely serious.

She frowned at him, but didn’t say a word as Aidirian took a step forward.  “She knows what she is doing,” Aidirian said in a quiet tone.  “There is something that all of you need to remember.  She’s an angel.  She is more powerful than any incubus there is.  She is more powerful than we all are.  We need to trust her to be able to do what needs to be done.”

Disbelief crossed Daryn’s face along with the others in the room.  “You honestly think we should let her go in alone?  That it will be safe for her to be in that place without one of us?”

“No,” Aidirian said, “but she isn’t going alone.”

Daryn rolled his eyes, while Antonio narrowed his.  The vampire took a step forward, letting his presence be known.  “And who is going in with her?  You?  None of us know how powerful you are.  None of us know if you can protect her.”

“He can protect her,” Innocence defended.  She looked towards Celeste with a smile as if waiting for a nod of approval.  Celeste smiled back, making Innocence’s face turn smug.

With a small chuckle, Aidirian shook his head.  “The most powerful out of us should go in with her.”

“Me,” Daryn said at the same time as Antonio.  The two glanced at each other with assessing eyes.

“Actually,” Innocence said in a cheery tone.  “That would be me.”

Everyone stared at the fae.  To be honest, Celeste would prefer Aidirian to go with her, but the fae was right.  What Innocence lacked in power, she made up for in creepiness.  The fae had the intimidation factor down. 

“I agree,” Aidirian said, breaking the silence.  “If I’m not mistaken, some Nephilim are frightened easily by normal fae.  When they see Innocence…”

He trailed off, but everyone in the room got the point.  As soon as the cheery little fae turned her cold, calculating eyes on them, they would be running for the hills.  The first time Innocence opened her mouth to utter a word; they’d feel chills down their spine warning them to run while they still could.  Yes, Innocence was the perfect person to take with her.

“What I don’t understand,” Daryn said while keeping his eyes on the fae, “is why only one person can go with her.”

“I don’t want to seem like I’m trying to start a fight,” Celeste answered.  “They have seen me before, and trying to deny who I am will not work any longer.  They need to know exactly who I am, but that I’m not my sister.  I’m not going to hurt them, even if they do not wish to talk.”