Part 26

Chapter 26

She woke up with her wings wrapped around someone.  It didn’t take her long to realize who it was, nor did it take her long to snuggle closer to his warmth.  If she could, she would happily stay here for the rest of her life, curled up in the protection of her now black wings with Aidirian next to her.  Reaching her hand out, she brushed his hair from his face with a smile.  When was the last time the man had a haircut?  She knew he preferred his hair short, but to her, he could have no hair and he would still be handsome.  His eyes were the one thing that she hoped he would never change.  The bright blue color sent her heart fluttering.  It was corny, even to her own mind, but it was true.

Just as she thought of them, they opened.  His eyes were cloudy at first, but soon cleared as awareness returned to them.  A smile turned the corner of his mouth, a mouth she could not stop staring at.  “How was your nap?” he whispered in their little cocoon.

“Good,” she whispered, her eyes still on his lips.  When the smile that she had witnessed disappeared, she looked up.  His eyes were closed, but his breathing was deep, almost as if he had fallen asleep once more.  “What’s wrong?”

He opened his eyes and stared into hers.  “I was afraid you would look different after, you know.”

“Do I?” she asked, holding her breath as she waited for his answer.

“Yes,” he mumbled, closing his eyes again.  “It’s worse.”

Her wings snapped back into her back as she pulled away from him.  The only problem was that he didn’t let her move very far.  His arms wrapped around her like steel bands that would never release her.  Even while she hurt inside, she had to admit that she enjoyed the sensation, enjoyed being wrapped in his arms.  “Let me go,” she hissed, trying to pull away.

He chuckled at her as he flipped her to her back.  His body hovered above hers, not touching but so close.  “You did not let me finish.”

“I don’t need you to finish,” she said, bucking in attempt to free herself.

Pressing his body into hers more, he smiled.  “You’re more beautiful than before.”

She froze, a frown still on her face.  “Why would that be worse?”

“How am I going to keep you if you look like this to others?”

Warmth spread through her, causing her cheeks to flame red.  Another chuckle escaped him, making her embarrassment disappear and anger take place.  “Lucky you,” she said with a smirk, “you and I are one of the very few who can see true forms.”

A frown formed on his face, and she had to bite the inside of her cheek to stop herself from asking him what was wrong.  He looked genuinely worried, but she still did not open her mouth.  Letting out a sigh, she shifted beneath him.  “Let me go?”

The demand that she meant to make came out as more of a question.  That must have been the reason why his grip slackened on her and he rolled away. It wasn’t because what she had said worried him; it wasn’t because he was mad at her for acting so immaturely.  Maybe, if she kept telling herself that, she wouldn’t feel so rejected.  It was her turn to frown at her thoughts.  This wasn’t like her; she didn’t doubt herself.

Rising from the bed, she walked towards the bathroom, ready to prepare herself for whatever hardships the day had to offer.  “Celeste,” Aidirian called out, making her stop in the doorway.  “You really are beautiful.”  She turned, ready to give in and apologize, but when she did, he was nowhere to be seen.  “Damn Jinn,” she grunted under her breath as she turned to the bathroom.