Part 37

Chapter 37

His arms wrapped around her, pulling her as close to him as she could possibly get.  With the plan now running through his mind, he knew that there was no room for error.  He had to do everything right, had to make sure there were no loose ends.  With a deep breath, he smiled at Celeste and was relieved when she sent him a large smile back.  When Luc had told them the plan, it was not only Michael who had protested.  Celeste had shaken her head at her uncle, demanding for him to find another way to solve their problem.  There was no other way, and Aidirian knew that.  There was no other way to make sure that Celeste was safe, to make sure that Gabriel would never harm her.

“You ready?” he asked.

With a nod, she pressed her cheek against his chest.  “Just don’t let me go.”

“Never,” he whispered as their bodies began to disappear.  It wasn’t as if this was the first time he had transported them anywhere, and this would not be the last time.  This time was different though.  There was an air of unease surrounding them.  They were not sure they would all leave alive, they were not sure that this would be the end of things.  The only thing that Aidirian was sure of was the fact that none of them would let Celeste get hurt.  No matter how much the woman despised the idea of them all putting her life before there’s, this was how it had to be.  Celeste was special; she was more.

“Never is going to have to come sooner than you thought,” Luc mumbled into his ears.

Aidirian’s eyes drifted away from Celeste to study his surroundings.  Everywhere that he looked, creatures flew into the sky.  Fallen swooped towards them, but did not get close once they saw exactly who was standing next to them.  Worse, angels flew next to them, a united force.  Where the Fallen stopped, the angels did not.  They had no alliance to Luc; they did not take his orders.

His eyes drifted away from the angels flying towards him.  There was no doubt in his mind that they would be taken care of, that the angels would not get close enough to harm a hair on any of their heads.  They had come prepared for any creature Gabriel set on them, had made sure that there was at least one person there who could control them all.

Finally, his eyes stopped on the one person he had been looking for.  Her eyes were narrowed as they watched the fighting around her.  One wing was as white as the clouds swirling around her while the other was as dark as the soul he wasn’t sure she had.  He knew that her appearance was all show, that the woman herself could not be both Fallen and angel.  She had changed her wings to gain control, control over those who were weak enough to believe her words.

“I want her,” Celeste mumbled as she pulled away from Aidirian.  “I don’t want to follow the plan; I want to fight her.”

“I know,” Aidirian whispered, reaching towards her again.  She stepped out of his reach, but the smile that pulled at her lips kept him from worrying.  “We have to listen to your Uncle Luc.  No matter how much you and your father hate this plan, it is the only way.”

“And what of my mother?” Celeste whispered as she gazed at her uncle.  “Was it necessary for him to knock her out?”