Part 30

Chapter 30

It was odd, the way that none of them looked her way.  Did she not appear different with her black wings?  Did they not see the difference in her?  By the way that they all smiled at her, she knew that they didn’t.  For some reason, the angels around her viewed her only as Celeste.  What was happening here, and why were they not attacking her?  The Fallen were not allowed to visit heaven.  They were casted out, never to be seen again.  Here she stood though, being welcomed by everyone who crossed her path.

“Celeste,” a musical voice called out from behind her.

Turning, she looked into the eyes of one of her father’s messengers.  Smiling, she waved at the man.  “How have you been?”

He jolted to a stop in front of her.  “Good, good,” he said in a hurried manner.  “Come, Michael is waiting for you.”

“He knew I was coming?”

“Your father knows everything.”

Celeste shook her head as she followed.  It was true; her father knew everything.  That was why she was so nervous.  If her father knew everything, why did he not stop Gabriel?  He had to know what his other daughter was doing, had to know that she was planning something against his wishes.  He was the mediator, the man who saw everything.

Abruptly, the messenger stopped, making her plow into him from behind.  Turning, he pulled her into a hug.  “Sorry about this,” he mumbled before a lurching sensation hit her stomach.

Closing her eyes, she allowed him to transport her.  She didn’t ask questions, knowing that he wished her no harm.  If he had, the necklace she wore would have protected her.  His arms dropped from around her.  Opening her eyes, she glanced around the small apartment with a confused expression on your face.  “I do not understand.”

The messenger cleared his throat with a smile.  “You know the saying, do not kill the messenger?”

“Yes,” she said slowly, narrowing her eyes at the man.

“Well, do not kill me.” 

Taking a step forward, she opened her mouth to ask questions only to snap it shut when he disappeared from the room.  Celeste stared at the empty space for a moment before closing her eyes.  Nothing, she couldn’t leave.  Letting out a small, frustrated scream, she opened her eyes once more.  She was tired of this, tired of people locking her in rooms with no way to escape.  There were no doors or windows in the apartment, and the walls glowed with a sort of electric force.

Reaching out, she went to place her hand on the wall.

“I would not do that.”

The amusement in his voice made her snap her eyes towards him.  Standing there, with his blonde hair styled back and his blue eyes shining at her, was her father.  He held his arms out to her, and when she did not move, a sad expression crossed over his face.  “What have I done that keeps you from me?”

She let out a sigh.  “Why would you even want to touch me?”

Confusion masked the sadness.  “You are my daughter.”

“I’m a Fallen.”

“As you should be,” he said with a smile. 

“How do I know you do not wish to harm me?”

This time, his arms fell to his side.  The expression on his face made Celeste want to take her words back, but she did not.  She needed to know whose side he was on; she needed to know exactly what was happening.  “If I wished you harm, I would not offer to touch you.  Your necklace holds my gem too; do not forget that.”  He stared at the necklace for a moment before shaking his head.  “You always were Luc’s favorite.”