Part 23

Chapter 23

Aidirian looked at her from the corner of his eye. She had said he could not see true forms; did that mean the way he viewed her was not real? Did her hair not shine the way it did, her brown eyes not sparkle? Did he even care? The answer, surprisingly, was no. He didn't care if she paled in comparison to the way he viewed her now. It did not change who she was, didn't change how he felt about her.

"Ask me," she mumbled.

He snapped his face back towards the road, feeling red crawl up his neck. Since when did something like staring at her cause him embarrassment? "It is nothing."

"With the way you are staring at me," she whispered, her face still facing the window, "I'd have to say you're lying."

"Celeste, it doesn't matter."

Finally, she turned towards him, showing off those brown eyes that he loved. "If it didn't matter, it would not be bothering you."

"Look," he said, turning his face towards her as he stopped at a red light. "I don't care what you look like. I don't care if you have no hair, or if your eyes are red."

"Aidirian-"

"Let me finish," he interrupted. "I'm hoping that you do not look like your uncle does now, but even then, it wouldn't change how I feel."

"Aidirian-"

He held up a hand, before realizing that he didn't have anything else to say. Flashing her a sheepish smile, he shrugged. "Go ahead."

"The lights green."

His mumbled curse didn't go unnoticed by her if her laugh was anything to go by. She thought the situation was funny, did she? As they got closer to her home, he felt a smile curl onto his lips. Fine, the situation was a little amusing. "I really don't care," he mumbled again as they pulled up her driveway. He parked the car before jumping out and opening her door.

She grabbed his hand, letting him pull her from the car. When she stood on her feet, she still didn't let go of his hand. She rose on her toes. "I look the same," she whispered, brushing a kiss across his lips. "So quit worrying." Pulling back, she ran towards the house, a mischievous smile on her face. "Bet you can't catch me."

Counting to five, he gave her a head start before darting after her. Her laugh echoed through the air bringing a large smile onto his face. He knew that she told him the truth, that even when he could see true forms, hers would be the same. It made him feel warm inside to know that she would not lie to him.

The door jerked open on its own as she disappeared from his view. Taking a deep breath, he imagined the way her room looked. He closed his eyes, and when he reopened them, he stood in her room, waiting for her. As the door opened, a large smile bloomed on his face. The smile quickly slipped as he looked at the person who walked into her room.

He shut the door behind him, before regarding Aidirian with a calculating look. "I won't let her up here," Luc said with a shrug, "but I know that you want me to teach you to see true forms. Celeste was born with it, and I thank myself every day that she doesn't have to go through that pain. Not many people will do this, but you will. For what?"

"You know why," Aidirian said in a clear voice. He didn't like being alone with this man, didn't like having Celeste out of his sights.

Luc shrugged as he took another step into the room and shut the door. "I want to hear you say it."

"On one condition."

"You learn quickly," Luc said a smile blooming on his face. Aidirian wanted to look away from the jagged teeth that sprouted from the man's mouth, but didn't. If Celeste was right, the view he was experiencing now was an illusion. "What do you want?"

"Celeste up here," he answered without hesitation. "I don't mind being vulnerable with her around. I don't trust you, or your people. I trust her."

"You do realize that you just answered my question."

Aidirian nodded with an indifferent shrug. "But you will not go back on your word. You may not be a man of God, but you do not lack scruples."

"Say it first."

"I care for her," he admitted aloud, "more than I should."

Luc sent him another half-smile before disappearing from sight. When he reappeared, his arms were wrapped around Celeste. His arms dropped just as soon as he appeared, and he took a step away from her as if the contact hurt. "It does," Luc hissed. "It hurts to touch someone I love, no matter how I love them. It's another part of the curse, isn't it lovely?"

For the first time since he had met Luc, Aidirian felt sorry for the man. What would it be like to go through life not being able to touch those you loved? He wasn't even sure how deeply his feelings for Celeste ran, and he could not imagine not being able to touch her, to not be able to brush her hair from her face. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Luc asked harshly. "You are not the one who did this to me, boy. You have nothing to apologize for."

Celeste stared at her uncle, sorrow in her eyes. Aidirian knew that if Celeste could, she would lift the curses surrounding Luc. She would do anything to make the man happy once more. The only problem was that there was only one person powerful enough to remove the curses, the man who put them there in the first place.

"Enough of that," Luc said in a gruff tone. "I hate pity, as you should know." He took a step towards Aidirian, a wicked smile on his scared face. "This is going to hurt."

"Wait!" Celeste yelled, jumping at Aidirian. "I want to be by his side as it happens."

"As long as you do not touch him."

As Luc said the words, Celeste's hand entwined with his. Luc stared at the two hands, his once smiling mouth thinning. "Let him go."

"No, Uncle Luc. This is my decision."

"I won't hurt you," the man mumbled, with something that sounded like true regret.

Celeste's shoulders squared as she faced off her uncle. "Please. You know me. I cannot just stand here while he goes through this. I want to help, and if this is the only way I can, this is what I'll do."

Luc shook his head, but when he realized that Celeste wasn't going to budge, he let out a sigh. Taking a step towards them, Luc placed his hand against Aidirian's temple. "You're lucky."

"Why?" Aidirian asked as Celeste's grip tightened.

Luc looked towards Celeste, pride masking his usually ugly features. "My niece has another power that is uncommon amongst us. She can absorb one's pain."

Hearing the words, Aidirian tried to yank his grip from her fingers, but it was too late, the process had already started.