Part 22

Chapter 22

“We need to do something,” Celeste complained, groaning when Aidirian shook his head.  “Yes,” she said in a louder voice, rising to her feet in annoyance.  “We need to now, Aidirian.  It has been a day.”

“A day where you have been safe,” he said, pulling her back down beside him.

Leaning into his side, she let out a huff.  “Please, Aidirian.  Nothing will happen, just let me leave this place.”

“You could leave without my permission,” he reminded, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. 

“Yes,” she mumbled, “I could, but I want you to come with me.  Today is the perfect day to scout the other locations.  Daryn is still hunting, Antonio is gone, and the creepy fae is nowhere to be seen.”

“Which means there are less people to keep watch over you.”

She stood once more, ready to transport out of the house.  Slowly, to taunt him, she let her fingers fade away.  Jumping to his feet, he grabbed her arm just as she disappeared.  As they landed outside of her home, Aidirian let out a sigh.  “You lasted longer than I thought you would,” he mumbled with a small smile on his face.

“You did that on purpose,” she accused, walking away from him with a little bit of anger in her steps.

His footsteps echoed behind her as he ran to catch up.  She felt him snag her hand before falling into step with her.  “I didn’t want you to leave, but I knew that there was no way I would be able to keep you in that house for too long.”

“You could have kept me in there forever.”

“True,” he whispered, tugging on her hand to make her slow her walk, “but you would have hated me for it.  Come this way, I have something we can use to get around town in a quiet manner.”

“A carpet?”

“Ha-ha.”  Pulling her towards the garage part of her house, he waved a hand at the door, making it rise on its own. 

A black car sat where the empty space was.  “Oh, that’s cute,” she replied, noticing his eager expression.  “The car is definitely cute.”

“Cute?  Cars are not cute,” he said, dropping her hand to run it across the hood of the car.  “She’s amazing, magnificent, beautiful, but never cute.”

“Okay, Casanova, stop petting the car and let’s go.”

He pulled open the passenger’s seat, waiting for her to sit down before running to the other side.  As he slipped into the driver’s seat, he turned towards her with a smile.  “Casanova now, huh?  I think I like that better.”

“Genie from Aladdin was a bit of a Casanova himself.  I think you take after him.”

The engine purred to life as he shifted gears.  As they started to leave the garage, she motioned towards his seat belt.  It snapped around him before hers did the same.  Glancing at her from the corner of his eyes, he glared at her.  “The seatbelt is unneeded.  If there is a wreck, I’ll transport us out beforehand.”

“Safety first,” she said, ignoring his words.  “Now, take a left.”

He followed her directions, not once complaining that he needed to know where she was going.  To be honest, she didn’t know where they were going, only how to get there.  Silence filled the car, interrupted by her a few times to tell him to turn one way or another.  It was a comfortable silence, one that she felt with only a handful of people.  Was it odd that she was happy to have this silence, happy that she didn’t have to speak around him the entire time?