-Chapter 27-

Since Chloe and I can't risk being seen acting like more than "Just Friends" around campus, we don't usually hang out during our morning and lunch breaks.

I stick with Kate, Brooke, and Tori while she hangs out with Nathan and a couple of other kids I am yet to meet.

"How's the hand, Max?" Kate asks, setting her lunch tray down on the table I'm sitting at, followed by the other girls.

I look up at them and shrug, "Better, I guess. I get the cast off next week".

"Well that's good," Brooke says, "Except, Chloe's gonna be sad since she won't be able to carry your books for you anymore".

I roll my eyes even though she's probably right.

"That girl is head over heels for you, Max," Tori says, "I mean, she follows you around like a duckling,".

"Does not," I protest, trying to hide my smile because that's exactly what she does.

The other girls stare at me with knowing smiles until I break.

"Okay, fine... she totally does and I think it's the cutest thing in the world".

Kate giggles a little, "You two are honestly the cutest couple in school and it's sad that you can't be open about it".

I nod and pick at the shitty cafeteria food set out in front of me, "I know, and as much of a shy cliched introvert as I am... I don't like hiding this. It makes it seem like I'm ashamed and I'm not,".

"Well maybe we can anonymously petition the school board about LGBT+ students,".

"I- I thought of that but... I honestly think that would only make things worse... and it might out other kids and I'd hate to do that".

The girls nod and return to their idle chatter as they eat.

I sigh and pick at my shitty cafeteria food, hardly having the appetite to eat it.

It's been almost a month since Chloe told me about Rachel and... I still haven't been able to get over it. I mean... I'm legit scared now that I'm like, going to hurt Chloe. So, I find myself holding myself back when we make out or cuddle. I censor myself.

I know this pisses Chloe off, to the point where she actually got a little emotional when telling me to cut it out, wondering if I did have a change in heart if I no longer had feelings for her. I shut that idea down fast, telling her that I was scared, just like her, and that I didn't want to fuck up this beautiful thing we have because of our insecurities.

So after another deep, painful talk about our pasts, getting everything out in the open, Chloe and I decided when and where we'd have our first time.

And what better day to lose your virginity than Valentine's Day?

It's this Friday which gives each of us some time to well... prepare and get used to the idea of being intimate in that way.

"Hey, Max, you okay? Your face is all red," Brooke points out, breaking me from my momentary daydream.

"Oh... yeah, sorry. Just thinking about... stuff," I mumble, returning to my food in an attempt to, once again, hide my face.

"Oh my god, Max... there is totally something going on," Tori teases with a warm knowing smile, "Is it about Chloe? Are you thinking about her?".

I snicker, "When am I not? But... yeah, I'm thinking about... Um... what we're going to do for Valentine's Day".

Insert collective squeal here.