Chapter 23

It was early in the morning when I decided to walk to Aaron's house and say goodbye. Austin and I are leaving today and switching motels. This time, we'd be out of the state. We even discussed settling down in a cheap apartment and getting jobs. Soon, we'd live a somewhat normal life.

For some reason, I wanted to say goodbye to Aaron alone. I think me and him connected more than him and Austin. So, I was going to miss him more than Austin would. For the first time, I actually don't want to move motels. I would much rather settle in this small town.

As I walked I payed more attention to small details. After all, this would be the last time I'd see the same pavement. Although, I wouldn't miss it. It's so cracked its hard to walk without tripping.

Grass grew in random places, but it was dried and the colour of smokers teeth. This town was not pretty. Scenery isn't something it is known for, if it is even known.

But, that's not what I learned to like in this town. I like its atmosphere. The quietness is something that isn't common where I come from. No one bothered you or asked for your name. Being new is very rare in this town, leading to exclusivity, something that I find in myself. All in all, I feel like my personality floats around in the air here. But I'm nothing like the people here, I don't judge as much as they do.

I could see myself settling in a place like this. Maybe not this one exactly, but something similar. Something are away from my hometown. Something far away from the woman who birthed me.

-

It took about ten minutes for me to get to Aaron's apartment from the motel, which was plenty of time to form a sappy goodbye. As you already know, I'm terrible with words, but this time it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully.

I walked to his floor and knocked on his beaten down door. Within a few seconds a well dressed Aaron appeared at the door.

"Hey man," Aaron said, smoothing down the ends of his plaid shirt. He cleaned up nice. "Hey." I replied awkwardly. I didn't just want to walk in and he was taking to long to invite me in.

Finally, he invited me in. Leading me to the couch, we both sat down while I gathered my words.

"I'm leaving today," I blurted out when the silence got too long. Aaron looked quite surprised, but soon replaced that look with sadness. "Why?" He asked, coming out as a whimper.

"Me and Austin are trying to get out of the state. I wish I didn't have to leave, but I have no option."

"Are you a serial killer!" He asked quickly. "No! NONONO!"

"Then why do you have to move around?"

"It's a long story."

An awkward silence threatened to make its way back in again, but he stopped it by collapsing me in a hug. Surprised, I hugged back. Aaron was never an affectionate person.

"You know," Aaron said after pulling away from the long hug, "I'm thinking of being gay. Girls are over rated anyway." He admitted, getting scarily close after that statement. I pushed away the thoughts that he actually meant something by that.

I laughed. I had thought the same thing. Austin was way better. But, Aaron scooted closer. It was at that time I noticed the alcohol on his breath. He was drunk.

"Haha, yeah," I awkwardly said, scooting away.

That's when it happened.

He put my wrist into one hand and the other hand on my face, and kissed me.

I wish I could say that I hated it or tried to push him away. But I didn't. He was a better kisser than Austin, that's for sure. I think I'm aloud to say that. His experienced lips were nothing compared to my one man ones.

About ten minutes later, his hands started exploring. That's when I had to stop.

Lifting myself off of his old couch, I sprinted to the door. Explaining my actions would have been better, but I was never a one with words.

It was when I got to the motel and Austin was gone that I broke down. He had left a note saying he was going to the grocery store for some more Advil (he gets terrible headaches).

I made out with another guy.

I made out with Aaron.

I cheated on Austin.

I am such a hypocrite.