✙ Chapter 32 ✙

Hey!

Sorry for any mistakes!

~ Lissa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ One Week Later ~

"Nobody can die."

Wandering down the hallways, I found myself thinking about Caine's words, struggling to accept them. Somebody who was standing in the office - Drew, Caine, Brody, Cole, Noah, and me - were going to die in the upcoming war. Other than Cole, everybody was important to me; each one of them held a place inside of me. But, at the time, I knew that if Cole died, it was going to break Drew. The two of them were best friends, despite my dislike towards his Beta. And, while I barely knew Caine, he was important to me - he was my mother's mate. It was impossible to not care about him dying, though considering his power, a part of me was assured that he wouldn't be the one to die.

"Nora, we can't prevent it - it's Fate. Remember, you can't win against Fate, no matter how hard you fight."

The image of my brother's dead body on the ground appeared in my head and I chomped down on my bottom lip. I couldn't lose my brother; at the moment, my father wanted to kill me, so I didn't consider him family, meaning Noah was all I had. Brody popped into my head and there was a gut wrenching feeling inside of me - I didn't think that I would bond with any of Drew's pack, yet I did. To be honest, Brody was my best friend; back home, I didn't have people who stuck by my side. Basically, my 'friends' were friends to my face, but not behind my back. If I lost him, it was going to have a large impact on me.

"I'm going to prove to you that Fate can be defeated."

Then, there was Drew - for so long, I fought against the mate-pull. We had our ups and downs, but that didn't change how I felt. I knew there was a possibility of him dying, even though he was an Alpha. With my decision to fight, I knew that his first instinct would be to protect me, meaning if he had to, he'd throw himself in front of me. To protect me, he would risk his life over and over again; if I fought in the war, he would be more concerned about me than himself. I was his weakness and if I didn't be careful, I was going to get him killed.

"You won't succeed."

The conversation ended with Caine after that; I ended up stomping out of the office in frustration. He seemed upset that I was going to attempt to break Fate - the only reason he was sticking around was to keep his promise to my mother about keeping me alive. And, once again, I was putting myself in danger. Suddenly, a hand grabbed my upper arm and tugged me into a warm body. I raised my fist, prepared to swing, but I lowered it when my eyes connected with a familiar pair of blue ones. Drew. His hair was brushed and he had changed into a nice shirt with some dark-washed jeans. "Calm down, it's only me."

I exhaled loudly. "You're lucky I didn't punch you."

"Yeah, you've already busted my nose twice," he pointed out, a small smirk on his face. I shrugged innocently and he shook his head, before draping his arm along my shoulders. The two of us started walking down the hallway together, our hips bumping against each other. "So, your brother and I had a long conversation about keeping it in my pants - he threatened to cut-off my beef stick if it got anywhere close to you."

I laughed. "When did this happen?"

"Five minutes ago," he answered, releasing a chuckle. "He's very protective of you; even being around him for a few minutes, anybody is able to tell that you two are siblings." We turned down another hallway, one that dimmer with fewer paintings on the wall. "Where do you guys get your attitude from, anyways? I swear, you two have the worst mouths - seriously, I haven't heard somebody be so foulmouthed in my life."