✙ Chapter 5 ✙

Edited 12/24/14

Nearly thirty minutes later, I stumbled into another room, instantly heading to the center where I rotated in a slow circle, glancing around. The walls were white, decorated with vintage pictures, and the ceiling was stained from water leakage. At this point, I was frustrated with myself; by now, I should've been long gone, probably with my family. But, other than the sliding glass door in the kitchen, I couldn't find another door that led outside to my freedom. The downstairs windows were too small or contained metal bars that prevented someone from crawling out. So, I was forced to venture upstairs, on high alert, though I surprisingly didn't bump into anyone. I was moving from room-to-room in search for a window without bars and a nearby tree for me to crawl down, possibly a pipe. Of course, it was taking forever - I was always the one with terrible luck. And, I searched the tables and nightstand drawers for phones, but I was disappointed each time.

"Come on," I mumbled, exhaling loudly. "What would Noah do?"

Suddenly, there was the sound of rattling. My eyes flickered across the room, landing on two doors. Seeing the sunlight streaming in through the crack, my heart stopped. No way. Quickly, I limped towards them, yanking at the handles until the doors opened. A gust of wind smacked into me and I breathed in the fresh air, smelling the decaying leaves and muddy ground. It was a balcony, one decorated with a simple porch chair and a potted flower.

I moved out onto the balcony and peered down below, seeing bushes and roses. I nibbled on my bottom lip, debating with myself. The cautious part of me was pointing out that if I had jumped, it was going to be extremely painful, especially with my injuries - there was also the possibility that I wouldn't survive. But, the risk-taking part of me was thinking along the lines of it being the best chance I had and the bushes would soften my fall.

Noah would jump, I thought, my hair whipping my face. I'm running out of time. Breathing in the surrounding forest's mildew, I hopped onto the railing. I swung both of my legs over the side, allowing them to dangle. I squinted up at the burning sun, though my attention was immediately drawn away to the faint moon hovering in the sky above the tree-line. My stomach twisted at the sight of it - a full moon was going to happen in the next few days. Werewolves had little restraint, which meant they were forced to shift on the full moon and because of their struggle with control, they lost themselves in the transformation. Seriously. During the transformation, they were overwhelmed with the urge to spill blood, so anyone or anything in their path, they didn't hesitate to attack.

I remained on the railing for the next few minutes, watching the puffy, white clouds slowly move across the sky. For some reason, they reminded me of cigarette smoke - to be honest, I had smoked once in my life. But, my brother was worse than me; he was the reckless and rebellious one. Since the day our mother was murdered, he became a cursing, jumbled mess searching for trouble. For a few months, Noah smoked and I remembered the day I had caught him. He was seated out in the trees, not too far in, with a cigarette between his fingers and a bottle of cologne in his lap. Beside him, an empty can of beer rested, crushed. I scolded him and he simply laughed in my face, something I had become used to.

Then, I snatched the packet of cigarettes from him, along with the lighter near his thigh. Bravely, I lit one of the cigarettes and shoved it between my lips, taking a deep breath. I was only able to release one puff of smoke, before he leaped to his feet and slapped the cigarette from my hand. That was the last time he had smoked.

I shook my head, knowing I needed to stay focused. Jump. I closed my eyes and tilted forward, feeling my body leave the railing. The weird sensation of my stomach dropping occurred and my muscles tightened for preparation of the impact. I held back a scream, even though I was positive that I was going to scream in agony at the bottom. But, my escape came to an end when somebody sprang forward and snatched my upper arm, jerking me to a stop in the air. I gasped and when the sparks started surging through me, I knew who had caught me.