✙ Chapter 11 ✙

Edited: 12/27/14

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

My heart was hammering in my chest as I stared at Reece, holding my breath. His auburn hair was matted to his sweaty forehead; did he just get done working-out? Underneath his red-rimmed eyes, rested dark circles that appeared larger and darker than the day before. The majority of werewolves had color in their skin, but his skin was sickly white, whiter than mine - from the distance between us, I was able to see his veins. It took me a moment to realize that he wasn't wearing a shirt - only a pair of loose, baggy shorts. My eyes dragged along his flat stomach up to his angered face, carefully. He stiffened at the sight of us and his dark eyes flickered around, narrowing at me. Gulping loudly, I tried wriggling my wrist out of the handcuffs, realizing the horrible position I was in - it was going to be difficult defending myself. Shit.

Hulk stepped out from behind Katie's chair, situating himself between me and Reece. Katie watched with wide eyes, terror written across her face. Only seconds ago, her glass of lemonade had slipped from her hand at the sight of Reece, shattering against the porch. Obviously, she hadn't been expecting to see him anytime soon. As for Cole, he shifted closer to my side, despite the scowl on my face.

"You can't touch her," Hulk said, stiffening as Reece stepped out of the doorway onto the porch. "You've already been warned once; another warning and you're banned from the pack."

A harsh laugh escaped Reece's lips. "I could care-less if I'm banned. There's nothing left for me here." He extended his arms, his eyes wavering. On instinct, Cole shifted even closer to me, close enough that his stench of cigarettes shot up my nose. Breathing through my mouth, I continued struggling against the handcuffs, fighting the urge to shove him away. I kept reminding myself that Cole was protecting me with reluctance; at the moment, I needed all the protection I could get. "Do you have any idea what I've been going through?"

"No, I don't," Hulk responded, shaking his head. "Reece, if you're banned from the pack, you're on your own. You're considered a Rouge and we both know Rogues get nowhere."

He frowned. "Who says I won't join another pack?"

"That's ridiculous," Hulk said, seriously. "You know Alphas don't accept Rogues into their packs - we follow orders from one Alpha most of our lives. Our Alpha is Drew and she - " he gestured over his shoulder at me, "- is his mate." I processed his words and flinched, feeling my skin tear from the handcuffs. Most werewolves followed orders from one Alpha their entire lives - it was because werewolves were always cautious, especially Alphas. No one trusted Rouges from past experiences and rarely an Alpha accepted them into their pack. They feared betrayal.

"With my skills, an Alpha will take me in," Reece responded, taking a step closer. He glanced at me, releasing a deep growl from the back of his throat. "Now, let me finish what I started." He attempted to push past Hulk, but because Hulk was such a bulky guy, he easily lifted his hands and pushed Reece back. I watched as he stumbled backwards in surprise, almost falling on Katie in her chair. Reece growled, looking up with his white pupils. He was one pissed off werewolf - he tried getting past Hulk again, but he blocked him. Reece snarled, before shouting, "What the hell? Why are you protecting her?! Do you know how many members of the pack she's killed?! She killed Veronica!"

Hulk frowned. "I know, but she's Alpha Drew's mate."

"So? She still deserves to be punished!" Reece spat, taking a large step towards me. Hulk grabbed him by his shoulders and held him back, glancing over his shoulder at me. Katie remained in her chair, covering her mouth with her hand. And, Cole placed his hand on my shoulder in a protective way, but I shrugged it off in disgust. He looked down at me with a serious look and I completely ignored him.