✙ Chapter 13 ✙

Hey!

Finally, an update, I know! :) I wish I could update more, but right now, I'm really busy. I have this huge project in English I'm working on until Thanksgiving and I've been out celebrating 16 birthday parties! Anyways, I hope you like this chapter - I don't know how I feel about it. I will edit it at some point!

Thanks for reading!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: 12/27/14

I was itchy and damp.

Releasing a moan, I opened my eyes, only to be instantly blinded by a bright light. Ah, fuck. My aching eyes strained against the light, slowly adjusting. I licked my lips, not surprised to discover them dry and chapped. When my eyes had finally accepted the light, my surroundings formed - trees, trees, trees, and more trees. The bright light was the sunlight streaming down between branches to the forest floor where I laid, covered in decaying leaves. Of course, a shaft of sunlight rested directly on my face, already forming a sweat on my forehead. I frowned, knowing I was still in the forest - I had survived the full moon. Taking a deep breath, I braced myself for the real torment.

Moving.

I lifted my arms, feeling the soreness in my muscles. Bruises danced along my arms, black and purple in color. When I sat forward, I felt the pain in my lower back and neck, the kind of pain someone had experienced when they slept in the wrong position overnight. I looked down at my feet, not surprised that the sneakers were torn up from the gnarly ground. I wiggled my toes, relieved when I still felt them, and turned my attention towards my thigh. The bandage was slightly bloody, though not enough to prove I had ripped my stitches again. Too afraid to look, I used the little strength I had left and tried rising to my feet, only reaching a squatting position, before falling back onto my ass.

"Careful."

Startled, I whipped my head around, instantly regretting it when a sharp pain occurred in my neck. I gritted my teeth together, releasing a quiet groan. My eyes flickered through the trees until landing on a familiar guy who was watching me, leaning against a tree with his arms folded across his chest. Amusement and curiosity danced in his emerald eyes - those unreal eyes. . . I searched through my mind, wondering why his eyes looked familiar. I remembered tumbling down a steep slope, then reaching the bottom where. . . he had emerged from the darkness, before everything went black.

I frowned. "Who are you?"

"I've already told you," he responded, raising an eyebrow. "I'm Caine."

Caine.

"I think you hit your head a little too hard," he continued, pushing away from the tree. I bit my bottom lip, bringing my hands to my head. There was a mild pain in my scalp and a chunk of my hair was missing as I felt the bald spot. I rummaged through my memories, suddenly remembering a person grabbing my hair from behind and smashing my head against the ground. I gasped, looking up at him with a scowl, anger swarming in my eyes.

"No, I didn't hit my head!" I hissed, glaring at him. "You hit my head against the fucking ground! You knocked me out!"

He started playing with a dead leaf in his hands. "No, I didn't - somebody who works for me did. I needed you unconscious to get you out of there. I saved your life, Nora." My heart skipped a beat at the sound of my name - how did he know my name? I watched as he ripped the dead leaf into small pieces, allowing them to blow away with the breeze. I eyed him up and down, wondering if there was any possibility that I knew him at some point. I searched deep into my memories until I gave myself an annoying headache. But, he wasn't there - I would've remembered those emerald eyes.