✙ Chapter 21 ✙

Hey!

So, I'm updating today because it's my birthday! Ahhh! Sixteen! I hope you like this chapter - I don't know how I feel about it . . . I might go in and change/edit things! Tell me what you think! Thanks for reading!

~ Lissa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, after arguing with Drew about sleeping arrangements, which ended with him getting his way again, I found myself sucked into a nightmare.

The wind whipped at my hair and stirred the leaves around my bare feet as I stood in the forest, surrounded by towering trees. The sky was dark, splattered with glistening stars while the full moon hovered above me, casting shadows. It was cold - shivering, my breath came out in white puffs, before disappearing within seconds. Feeling exposed, I looked down, instantly frowning in confusion at the white, silky dress clinging to my body. The thin straps could've easily been pulled off my shoulders and because the dress ended above my knees, if I bent over, I guaranteed somebody was fully capable of seeing underneath.

Rotating in a circle, I glanced around, squinting through the darkness of the trees. The soil was soft in-between my toes, so soft that I buried them in the ground to keep them warm from the arrival of winter. Birds cawed from the branches of trees and in the distance, I heard howls from coyotes. The branches above me swayed with the wind and the rustling of leaves sent chills up my spine. What was I doing in the forest? Confused, I scratched the back of my head, before wrapping my arms around my torso, feeling uncomfortable in the dress.

Then, all of a sudden, the wind stopped.

The whistling of the wind disappeared while the birds stopped cawing and the coyotes stopped communicating. Now, in complete silence, the terrifying thoughts in my head pushed forward in warning. I opened my mouth to speak, but no sound came out - I tried again in hope of somebody hearing me shouting for help, but nothing. Trembling, I brought my hand up to my mouth, dragging my fingers along my bottom lip in fear. What was happening? Why couldn't I speak?

A dark figure flew past me, bumping into my side with enough force that I stumbled backwards into a tree. Frantically, I glanced around, rubbing my shoulder as I staggered away from the tree. Terrified, I whipped around, prepared to take off running through the trees, when someone appeared in the corner of my eye. Slowly, I turned my head, looking at the person with wide eyes. Standing there with a wicked smile on her face was my mother, her head cocked to one side as she stared at me. What was she doing here?

She was supposed to be dead.

"Why didn't you help me?" she asked, swaying from side-to-side. I blinked, staring at her in shock. My dead mother was standing in front of me and she looked exactly how I remembered her with her auburn curls, dark eyes, and petite figure. My eyes flickered to her wrist, instantly landing on her butterfly tattoos that represented my brother and me. Tears pricked my eyes and I choked back a sob; how was she here? Her eyebrows knitted together, before she repeated. "Why didn't you help me?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but once again, no words escaped. She shook her head, rubbing the butterfly tattoos on her wrist. There was so much I wanted to tell her - how I missed her and how everything was falling apart without her around. I reached towards her, desperately wanting to wrap my arms around her again, but she took a step backwards away from me. I frowned and her eyes shifted to someone in the trees, widening with fear. She whimpered, clutching her hands to her chest as tears started streaming down her pink cheeks.