✙ Chapter 31 ✙

Thanks for reading :D

~Lissa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, let me get this straight, the leader of the red-eyes killed our mother?" Noah repeated, slamming his hands down on Drew's desk. "Now, he's visiting Nora in her dreams to test her?" In the morning, I found myself seated on one of the leather couches in Drew's office, still seeing flashes of the nightmare in my mind. Drew was was seated next to me, his arm wrapped around my waist in a comforting gesture, though despite the sparks, it wasn't helping. Considering it was six in the morning, dark circles rested underneath his eyes and he hadn't bothered combing his hair. On the other side of me, Brody was curled into the arm of the couch, eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. Every once in awhile, a loud slurp filled the room.

The most disliked person, Cole, paced near the bookshelves, his arms folded across his chest. Believe it or not, but he hadn't made some rude remark to Brody in the last fifteen minutes - a part of me thought it was because Drew was in the room. Caine was seated on the other couch across from me, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. And, Noah, being the difficult one, refused to be so close to a group of werewolves without a weapon - he stayed behind Drew's desk. Hulk and Katie would've joined us in the office, but they left overnight for a week to go deal with the Reece situation. I took a deep breath as I struggled to believe what I was hearing.

"It's true," Caine responded, quietly.

"Okay, so who is he?" I questioned, frowning. "What's his name?"

Caine exhaled loudly. "He's gone by a lot of names over the centuries, but his real name is Killian."

Brody's eyes widened. "He has 'kill' in his name."

"Indeed," Caine said, slowly nodding. "He lives up to it - I've seen him kill before, Nora. I hope after I tell you this story that you won't change your opinion of me." Drew shifted closer to me as I stiffened, suddenly worried. "I knew Killian way back, way to the times of where our transportation were only horses. His father was a coward; he abandoned his family when they started struggling for food. All these years, I've believed that his father was the trigger for his change in behavior - before his father left, he was a good person. When I met him, I was just starting to control my transformation into a beast on the full moon."

"You're older than dirt," Brody blurted, shocked.

Caine raised an eyebrow and I rolled my eyes, looking at Brody. "Just keep quiet and eat your Fruity Pebbles." He shrugged and shoved a spoonful of his breakfast into his mouth. Cole shook his head and leaned against the closest bookshelf, patiently waiting for Caine to continue.

"Anyways, Killian was infatuated with hunting," Caine continued, looking down at his hands. "I remembered him gloating about his arrows that he had carved himself; they were small and jagged. To be honest, they weren't capable of killing anything without him possibly stabbing it. His father always laughed at his pathetic arrows and shooed him away, saying to return when he was able to actually make the animals fear him. Killian reminded me of me at the time; my father was similar to his. I always needed to make him proud, like with sword fighting. But, my father died shortly after I left my village, so I wasn't able to prove myself to him. Because of this, I felt the need to make Killian prove himself to his father. I showed him how to properly carve arrows and kill an animal . . ."

"One day, he carried a squirrel into his home, one that he had managed to shoot. He showed the dead animal off to his father, proudly. But, his father wasn't proud - he told him that the squirrel couldn't feed the family. It could barely feed one person and shooed him away, saying in order to keep the family full, he needed to shoot a deer. From there, Killian tried for weeks trying to spot a deer and shoot it, but he couldn't. So, he came to me and started rambling about how he wish he could make his father proud for once. The disappointment in himself was a reminder to me of how hard it was for a boy to please their father. . . well, I had the one thing that could help him - make him strong, fast, and skilled. . ."