Chapter 45

Darien's POV

I just sat on the edge of the bed glaring at my sister after Salara and TIm had left the room, leaving us in a tense silence that you could easily cut through with a knife.

She fidgeted uneasily underneath my gaze, her eyes never meeting mine. "Look I know you must be mad-" She started before I interrupted her with a snort, making her look up at me with slight surprise at the abruptness of the noise.

"Mad? This is beyond mad. This is pissed beyond belief" I growled, pushing myself up off the bed, my hands curling into a fist when the pain in my side began to throb with my movements. I gritted my teeth, holding back the groan that was fighting its way to the surface. Instead I held my stern expression, not allowing Eve to see how weak I was.

"I know I didn't quite think my actions through but I had to get back at them for what they did! They hurt you and I wasn't even there t-"

"You weren't there to what?" I all but hissed, glaring down at her. "to put yourself in front of a bullet for me?" Images of Salara doing just that had my heart clenching harshly in my chest, just thinking about either of them sacrificing themselves for me had me feeling sick to my stomach.

"You almost died-" she cried motioning to my side.

"But that does not give you cause to just throw your life away!" I shouted, silencing her. "You have been marked and you just want to waltz over there and start world war 3 just because I got hurt?" I hissed.

"I just wanted to get them back for what they did" She whispered in a small voice, her expressions revealing the hurt she felt at being yelled at.

"And what would have happened if they had caught you? If you hadn’t managed to get out of there in time?" I glared.

"If you were afraid that they would be able to get information out of me by torturing me then you can rest assured that I can take care of myself" She glared, her voice hardening.

"You don't get it!" I spat, storming over to her and grabbing on to her arms roughly and shaking her. "I don't care about the information you know. Its the lengths in which I would have gone to, to get you back alive and unharmed if even possible! Scorsazy knows that the only way to get me on my knees is through the people I love. His attack on me was a set up to cause a reaction and you played right into their books! You didn't think! instead you let your emotions get in the way of your judgement!" I ranted getting angrier and angrier the more I continued because she didn’t see.

Salara and Eve didn’t see that they were risking their lives for the wrong reasons. They were risking their lives for a monster that didn’t deserve the love or the compassion they showed me.  

"I-I'm sorry" she breathed her voice shaking slightly. "Sorry doesn't fucking cut it! If I had lost you I would never forgive myself" I said my voice lowering till I was talking barely above a whisper. "I would never forgive myself." I repeated, shaking my head.

 Salara's POV

Tim and I had left Evelyn and Darien alone in the room and had made our way down to the kitchen to get something for me to eat.

But as I sat at the counter and slowly nibbled on the piece of bagel that Tim had toasted for me I no longer felt hungry.

After being with Darien for so long I learned that deep down past that hard exterior he showed to the world he was gooey inside. He just had a hard time showing it to the world.

And sometimes because of that he ended up pushing away the people he loved the most. The last thing I wanted to happen was to see Darien and Evelyn no longer speaking to each other.