Chapter 7

I think someone out there must of heard me because the two guys passed the supply closet without a second glance, heading straight for my abandoned apartement. I breathed out softly, my palms sweaty.  i knew that the moment they realized i was gone that they would either tear the apartement apart or  post someone outside till  i 'decided to show up.' i bent my leg, reaching down in the cramped space to pull off my shoes so i could run quietly.

When i heard them picking my lock, i eased out of the closet, pressing my back against the wall. I slowly slid across the wall, glancing back everyonce in a while to see if they had noticed me yet. When they did not turn i made a run for it, the soft fabric of my socks muffling the sound of my feet hitting the worn wooden floors. I was amazed when i had made it to the stairs that they had not seen me, but i didn't wait  for that to change. i barreled down the stairs, my feet flying down the steps. when i reached the bottom floor i quickly stepped into my running shoes knowing now would be a good time to be wearing them.

i pushed open the back door, stepping out into the cool night air. i saw the front of my car hidden in the shadows and nearly sighed with relief. I was getting away, i would live. then a hand snaked out from the left of me, covering my mouth and the other wrapping around my waist. i screamed, thrashing as i tried to get loose. i lifted my arm and thrusted it backward with as much force as i could muster, catching the guy in the gut. i felt his hold loosen and a grunt leave his lips. As soon as i was free i was running.

i jumped into my car and shoved the keys into the ignition. I stepped on the gas as soon as the car was on, my nissans tires squealing loudly on the ashphalt. I didn't know where i was going all i knew was that i needed to get out of L.A. and fast. For the first hour i turned frequently on small streets trying to see if someone was tailing me. When i was satisfied that i was in the clear i pulled up a map  from my glove compartment and highlighted the way out.

I drove and drove for a few hours more, but the adrenaline had run off along time ago and my body was beginning to feel the exhaustion. I didn't want to waste money on a hotel or hostel and decided to kill the rest of the night in my car. I tried to catch at least an hour of sleep, but i still felt like i was being watched, and every so often i would glance out my car windows expecting to see the same black SUV pull up.

the next morning i woke to the sun shinging threw my car windows. I must have fallen asleep alittle past 4:30 in the morning, but it was anything but peaceful. The car seats weren't particularly comfortable and i had a fitfull sleep, mostly dreaming about a grave with headstone with my name on it.  i groaned stretching from the kinks in my back. i never realized how much i missed my little single matress right then.

i peeked around my surroundings wondering if anyone was waiting for me to step out of the car. when i didn't see anything out of the ordinary, I got out, raising my hands in the air as i stretched again. I glanced in the mirror and wiped my excess makeup off and grabbed my hair, tying it up in a messy ponytail so that my hair was out of my face. I glanced around wondering where i had stopped in the middle of the night. Across the street there was a small run down coffee shop but it was enough for me.  i grabbed my purse, placing my wallet, keys, tooth brush and tooth paste inside.

This was probably the closest thing i could use for my own personal hygiene. I slung it over my shoulder and crossed, pulling the hood of my hoodie i had slipped on over my head, covering my hair. i past the few customers inside, making a beeline straight for the washroom. When i was inside i checked under all the stalls making sure i was alone before i started cleaning up.

I dropped my purse onto the counter before looking at myself in the mirror. My hair despite being put up into a ponytail was all over the place, my eyes were puffy and shadowed like i had been through hell. my eyes moved down my reflection to the opening of my hoodie where something caught my eye. i pulled down the collar revealing the lenght of my neck. A large purple bruise in the shape of a hand reached across my throat, nearly covering all of my skin.

i swallowed softly, watching as my bruised flesh stretched over my throat. i ran a finger gently over the shape. I shook my head releasing, forcing the images from the other night to the back of my head. i leaned over the sink turning the tap and filling my hands in cups of water. 10 minutes later i stepped out from the washroom feeling alittle better. i slid into a booth my eyes automatically glancing outside to check my car.

"what'll it be darling?" a thick voice asked, making me jump. i turned my eyes wide in surprise. An old looking polish lady stared off in the distance looking bored out of her mind and miserable as hell. "um..." i took one swift glance at the place and swallowed, clearly these people never heard of hygene. "i'll just have a coffee. black two sugars." i mumbled. She sighed popping a small bubble gum into her mouth. "sure thing sweets." with that she turned on her heel disappearing behind the counter.

when the coffee arrived i set down to planning what my next move was going to be. i mean they can't chase me forever right? i could just keep on the move until the dust settles. but knowing the gangs, they were unlikely to give up soon or ever for that matter. i lifted the coffee to my lips trying to soothe the lump in my throat but retched when the smell of the coffee filled my nose.

it smelled like it had been sitting there for a long time. and i mean A LONG TIME. i set the coffee down, and just stared down into its dark depths. Oblivious to the black range rover that pulled up into the small cafe's parking lot and disappearing around back.