12 : Then what are We

I laid in my bed motionless, listening to my parents bicker, argue, shout and scream. Forgetting that they had a daughter in the next room, who had school the next morning. I winced and cringed every time they threw such baneful and malicious words at each other. I'm use to this, but still I had no idea what to do, or how to fix the problem. I couldn't go crawling into someone's bed, I was the only child.

I had no siblings, no one I could turn to in comfort. This always happen from time to time. I would think its natural to fight as a married couple. They make it seem normal, the next day they would always go back to being the loving couple they are, but this time I don't think they would spring back like they used to.

I want to go in there, and slap my mother every time she said such a horrible thing to my father. I think she was a bit upset that he's never home. I suppose she was to the point where she thought it should be 'addressed'.

"Maybe you should just stay in New York," she seethed.

A few moments later I heard the front door slam shut. I got up out of my bed, and rushed to the window. Nearly tripping myself in the process. I hissed when my foot collided with the edge of the dresser. I hopped to the window, with my toe throbbing. I gasped when I saw my papá, pull out of the drive way. I crawled back into my bed and curled into a ball. My ego was far to bruised to worry about falling back to sleep. I know I'm not the only one, who feels like it's their fault for their parents marriages don't last. Even tho it's probably Vanessa's fault.

I don't know why though, I do what I am told, and try my hardest to stay out of trouble. So why can't things seem to go my way. I sighed as I thought to myself "So this is what a broken home feels like". I looked to my clock, it was nearly two in the morning. I wonder if Jace is awake.

Without thinking, I grabbed my phone and dialed Jace. I laid back in my bed, and stared at the ceiling fan almost falling into a trance waiting anxiously for Jace to answer.

"Hello," he answered, his voice sounded raspy, apparently just waking up.

"Jace, are you awake, I can't sleep," I whispered.

"So you decided to call me," he chuckled still sounding drowsy.

"You're the first person I thought of, my parents fought, and my dad left," I sighed.

I looked outside my window were my dad's car was. I stared at the vacant parking spot. "wow," I thought to myself. She really sent him running. I wanted to laugh at this situation, but I couldn't bring myself to do so. It would be inappropriate. Jace mumbled something in the phone bringing me back to reality.

"I'm sure, he will be back."

I know this wasn't considered staid for me at least, maybe my mother. I wondered how he could be so optimistic. Maybe he didn't consider it a dire situation. But still, how could he look on the bright side so easily without knowing the facts. I tend to expect the worse, and hope for the best. It doesn't always work, but at least I didnt batter my feelings hoping for something unrealistic.

"Nope," I said popping the p. "He's a goner, I'll never see my daddy again," I sighed dramatically.

"Your ridiculous," he yawned.

I felt bad for waking him up out of his sleep, but then I recalled all the bad things that he has done to me, and thought to myself, "he will survive". There was along period of silence for a second I thought he passed out on me.

"Jace," I said, hoping he was still awake.

"Hmm."

"Can you pick me up for school tomorrow, please."