1: New Kid

1 : New kid on the block

You know how they say "being the new kid sucks," well they really weren't lying. Being the new kid totally blows. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, whatsoever. I was made fun of by lower classmen, hit in the face with a volleyball, and made an enemy to top it off. I should've set a record. All this manage to happen in an eight hour time period, on the first day, at a new school.

"Everyone may I have your attention, please." My teacher waited patiently for the noise to die down. Raising his eyebrows expectantly, he gave them 'the look', and said, "I'll wait".

The noise declined slowly until there was ultimate silence. I glanced up at him admiringly, from the side of my eye. He obviously differed from my previous non-domineering teachers.

"Good, now that I have your attention, this is Rhiyanne Cipriano."

"It's her first day here, and you all should try your hardest to make her feel welcome."

I smiled at his comments, graciously. Not many people care to say my name how it's pronounced. Being my name is Rhiyanne, they continuously insist on saying "Ryan", even after I correct them from a humble approach. After a while, I figured it was most likely out of spite, therefore I disregard it.

I averted my attention back to the class. All I got out of these guys were a couple glares, some smirks here and there, but overall just plain blank stares. The scrutiny was real.

I did the only thing I thought was logical. In the attempt of being nice, I gave a nervous smile and waved. It was sad to see, no one returned the bonhomie.

"Ouch," I thought. Tough crowd.

My teacher, Mr. Merritt, told me to take a seat anywhere I pleased. I willed my feet to commence movement, examining the room carefully. Having an intense feeling, these seating arrangements are going to be permanent, It would be in my best interest to choose wisely.

I had my mind made. I didn't want to sit next to anyone, but it looked like I didn't really have a choice. I took a look around the room, and it was the most cliché thing from all things cliché. At one table you had, and I'm guessing, the plastics and jocks. At another table, you had the nerds and geeks, and last but not least all the way in the back there sat the bad boy.

I reluctantly walked towards the back of the room. Call me self-centered but I couldn't help but feel like everyone was staring at me. I loved all the attention I was getting.

All the seats appeared to be taken but one. There was a boy seated beside the empty chair. His head was down, shielding his face from the rest of the world. That's fantastic. Under no circumstances was I willing, nor ready to talk to anyone.

I walked to the empty chair and sat down awkwardly. As soon as my lower half touched the seat his head shot up. I nearly jumped. He looked at me weirdly. "My god," I thought eyeing him like a piece of artwork. He is gorgeous, absolutely breathtaking.

"Why are you sitting here," he inquired and might I add, a bit harsh. I frowned but quickly covered it with a smile.

"That must've came out wrong. Hi I'm Rhiyanne." I held a hand out for him to shake. He looked at my hand then back at me.

"No, I meant for it to come out that way." He spoke slowly as if he was speaking to a child, trying to make me have a transparent understanding. Whatever smile that was on my face was certainly gone now.

"Gosh, who pissed in his tea," I mumbled, in what I thought was an inaudible volume.

"No one pissed in my tea, now be a good girl, and run along."