10 : Daddy's Little Girl

I woke up today a little excited, well my mother and I both. Today was my father's birthday, and he cut his business trip short to spend a day with us. He flew in from New York last night unexpected, and he's now asleep, while my mother, and I are down stairs trying very hard to make him breakfast.

I sat there quite bored as I watch my mother working diligently. I let out a long sigh hoping to catch her attention. It took her a few minutes to notice me with everything that she has going on.

"You know you could help me instead of just sitting there,"

I rolled my eyes, but keep my mouth shut afraid I would say something slick. It's funny because every time I would try to help, she would scold me. It's always, "No you're doing that wrong," or "you're making a mess". I decided to leave her to it. What more does she have left to do, she has done everything.

"I don't think that's necessary, Vanessa, it looks like you're about done," I said nonchalantly. "Don't get slapped Rhiyanne," she warned. "Fine what do you want me to do 'mother."

"Uh, you can make the fruit salad," She said checking things off of her 'things-to-do' list.

I walked over to the refrigerator, and search for the fruit, which wasn't even there. I furrowed my eye brows and closed the refrigerator. I stood there dumbfounded for a brief moment, I then decided to check once more. I rearranged the fridge in search of these god damn fruits that aren't even here.

"What am I supposed to make the fruit salad with." She gave me one of those 'you-did-not-just-say-that' looks, causing me to get defensive immediately. "Hey I'm not the one who forgot to buy the fruit," I retorted. "Dammit, I knew I forgot something, I need you to run to the store,"

"Can I buy myself something nice," I asked, taking advantage of the moment.

"Fine, just go," she snapped. I grabbed the keys off of the counter and rushed out of the house leaving my mother in that jungle we call our kitchen.

As I pulled inside the parking lot, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I parked the car near the back, seeing that there aren't many parking spaces closer to the store. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and read my message that was sent from my mother.

Mommy: watermelon, honey dew, strawberries, and grapes for the fruit salad.

Me: I know what goes inside a FRUIT salad, I'm not the one with Alzheimer's.

I laughed at my reply as I stepped outside of my mother's SUV. Luckily the store wasn't crowded today; it being Sunday. I grabbed a cart and entered the grocery store. As I walked around throughout the store some of the little old people stared at me. I just brushed it off, and continued towards the fruit section.

I found the watermelon with no problem. Someone could spot it from a mile away it being big, and green. I picked up the biggest melon I sought. I was amazed that I didn't drop it. It's excessively large, while I'm rather small in comparison to an average girl my age.

As I was about to place it down, the cart jerked back. I watched as it hit the floor with bang, instantly smashing into smithereens. The floor was covered in chunks of red meat and sweet fluids. I looked up from the ground and searched for culprit who committed this horrible crime. But the coast was clear, I was alone. I maneuvered the cart and myself around the bloody sea that flooded the floor.

I nearly screamed when I came face to face with one of the boys from the basketball team. I scowled at him for nearly giving me a heart attack, then I tried to walk away. He stepped in front of me causing me to groan.