Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Eighteen

“I can do this,” I told myself that night as the doorbell rang downstairs and echoed through the house. I sucked in a few deep breaths and prepared myself. “Hunter deserves to know the truth.”

         I smoothed my blouse and grabbed my purse, hurrying down the large stairs to the front door.

         My heart gave out a pang as I watched him discuss something with Henry and my mom. My mom tipped her head back and laughed at something he had said, while Henry also chuckled. Hunter looked like he belonged here in the foyer, greeting my parents and taking me on dates.

         For any normal girl, he would be the perfect guy. The kind of guy who opened your car door and told you how beautiful you looked every time you went out. Who was sensible and sweet and funny and kind.

         But I wasn’t a normal girl. And even though he was the perfect guy, he wasn’t the perfect guy for me.

         I stepped into the room and gave Hunter a small smile. He turned to me and grinned, the corner of his eyes crinkling. “Hey,” he said, taking my hand. He turned to Henry and my mom. “Mr. Williams. Mrs. Starr. Have a good night.”

         “You, too,” they both chimed as we walked to the front door. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ashton standing at the top of the stairs, looking down at us with an unfathomable expression. I had not talked to Ash about any of this since my mom and I had talked, and I was hoping to keep it that way until after my date.

         I ignored him and let Hunter lead me to his car. We both hopped in, and he turned to me. “You look beautiful,” he told me sincerely as he started the car.

         I faked a smile, because deep inside my heart was breaking. “Thank you.”

          He didn’t even notice my smile was faked. I know Ashton would have noticed straight away and questioned me about it until he knew the truth.

         We began driving towards the restaurant, and I stared out the window absent-mindedly at the trees passing by.

         Hunter turned on the radio like always and tapped his fingers to the beat of the song.

         I looked over at him and examined his handsome profile. So many girls would kill to be in my position, and I was throwing it all away. I wished it were simple; that I could love him as much as I loved Ashton, but I couldn’t. It just wasn’t possible. Ashton would always be the one for me.

         Here I had a guy like Hunter, who was handsome and smart and funny and kind, who opened my door and told me how beautiful I looked and called on time, and I was breaking up with him for a rebellious, bad-boy player like Ashton, who was obnoxious and arrogant and snarky.

         I guess that just goes to prove how strange love can be.