Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Four

The tension between Ashton and I during the next three days was so palpable you could probably cut through it with a butter knife.

He refused to acknowledge my presence, and he barely even looked my way. Of course my mom noticed, but thankfully she didn’t comment on it.

She was too excited at my date tonight.

She would not stop talking about it, even with Ashton in the room, and I could tell it pained Ashton to hear her non-stop commentary after everything. I just lowered my head and pretended that Ashton wasn’t there.

I wanted to dress casual, but my mom was making me dress up in heels and a fancy dress. Apparently the first date was always the most critical, and she wanted me to look my best for my ‘potential suitor’, as she called it.

I sighed as I stared at myself in the mirror of my bedroom. Swarms of questions flew around in my mind as I stared at my reflection. Did I look okay? Would he like my dress? Why was I turning into such a girl?

The dress was sleek, black and strapless, dipping low in a bow-shaped neckline, hugging my curves. It was coupled with elegant black heels as well, and my lips were painted red, contrasting with the rest of my ensemble.

A knock sounded on the door, and I called out a quick, “Come in.” I expected it to be my mother coming to make sure I was ready.

The door opened to reveal a grim-faced Ashton standing in the doorway, looking awkward and reluctant. I jumped at his appearance, and watched him wearily.

“Your mom told me to tell you that your date’s here,” Ashton spat out, and let me tell you he did not sound happy about that fact.

“Oh, uh, thanks,” I muttered, still staring at myself in the mirror. What if I didn’t look okay? What if he hated it?

“You look beautiful,” Ashton told me, and I realized I had thought aloud. He said it slowly, as if the words were being forced from him, or he didn’t mean to say them. “He’ll love the dress.”

“Thank you,” I whispered, grabbing my purse and scurrying past him, brushing against him gently on my way out. I ignored the tingles that ignited along my skin.

I quickly walked down the mahogany stairs, to find Hunter making small talk with my mom. He abruptly stopped when he spotted me walking down the steps, and he smiled up at me. “Mia, you look absolutely beautiful,” he breathed.

I blushed, and a goofy smile took over my face. “Thank you.”

I realized Ashton was right behind me, and tried to ignore his presence, instead focusing on Hunter.

“You ready to go?” he queried, leading me towards the door.

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“Have her home by ten-thirty,” Ashton called after us, sounding like an over-protective dad. His voice was gruff. “And don’t try anything with her or I’ll make sure you never have the chance to do anything like that ever again. Are we clear?”