Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Twenty-One

I didn’t have a chance to reply before he ploughed on.

         “Look, Mia, I’m gonna be honest with you here. I ruined your relationship, and I’m sorry. I was stupid and childish and immature. I was jealous.

         “But I love you, Mia. And I made a promise that I would get you back. Maybe it’s selfish. Scratch that. It is selfish. But you’re amazing, Mia. Maybe our relationship is more complicated than everyone else’s, but it is definitely worth it. I will fight until the very end for you, because I love you.

         “I didn’t believe in true love or soul mates or any of that clichéd crap,” Ashton continued. “And I also laughed at all those lovesick guys who followed their girlfriend everywhere. Until I realized why they did it. Because when you find love like that, you don’t want to let it go without a fight.”

         He stepped forward and took my hands, lifting me from my seat so that we were face-to-face. Or, well, shoulder-to-face in this case, since he towered over my slight frame.

         “Mia, I know it’s complicated. I know it’s hard and I know it’s not gonna be easy for us. But I’m willing to deal with that. I’m willing to deal with whatever obstacles come our way, because you’re worth it. You are worth every single problem that we could possibly face.

         “If you don’t feel the same way, I’ll deal with that. I’ll leave you alone, and I won’t try to ruin any more relationships for you. But I need you to look me in the eye and honestly tell me that you don’t feel the same way.”

         I bit my lip and shook my head, lowering my eyes. “You and I both know that would be impossible, Ashton.”

         Hope flickered in his brown eyes like a candle in a dark room, and my heart beat loudly in my chest.

         “I love you, Ashton,” I told him honestly, my gaze never leaving his. “Probably more than I should. But I can’t help it. I would go anywhere for you.”

         “I need to ask you a question,” Ashton said.

         “Shoot.”

         “If Hunter didn’t break up with you, would you have left him for me?”

         I nodded. “Yes. I planned to. I guess Hunter beat me to it. We weren’t working out. He doesn’t make me feel the way you do. That month I was with you over summer was the best month of my life, Ash. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

         He dropped to his knees and grandly held out his hand. “Then will you, Mia Starr, be my girlfriend?”

         I laughed at his antics. This was exactly what he had done over summer, and yet it still gave me butterflies.

         I bit my lip. “Yes.”

         He stood up with the widest grin I had ever seen on his face, and slipped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

         For a second he just stared into my eyes, before he bowed his head and closed the distance between us.

         He used so much force that we both fell back onto the bed, and I yelped in surprise as we collided onto the soft mattress that bounced underneath us.

         We both burst out laughing, before he brought his soft, luscious lips back to mine once again.

         I immediately arched my neck further to get more confortable, and my arms twined around his neck, pulling us further down.

         His head slanted, and the kiss deepened so much it was dizzyingly sweet.

         He felt so perfect, like his lips were made to fit mine.

         Our lips worked in perfect synchronization, and I forgot about all of our problems and all of the obstacles in our way. Who cared about the petty little things that wouldn’t matter in fifty years?

         Right now all I cared about were Ashton’s lips and the feel of his hair underneath my fingertips.

         The kiss was magical, enchanting, captivating.

         He pulled back and stared into my eyes, lifting his body a little so that he didn’t crush mine—not that he would’ve anyway.

         “Mia,” he said slowly. “I don’t want to be your second choice in this.”

         I smiled a little bit. “Ashton, you were never a second choice. You were the only choice.”

         He smiled down at me, his face sweet and innocent, and I craned my neck once again to capture his lips with mine.