Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Thirteen

Ashton’s POV –

I looked down at Mia to notice her completely asleep, her face sweet and beautiful in slumber.

I gently wiped the tears from her face and looked around the cave, realizing how late it must’ve been getting.

I stood up and cradled her against my chest, walking through the woods towards the motorbike. I looked down at her sleeping form, and didn’t want to wake her. She’d had enough drama for one night. She needed some sleep. She needed to rest and recover before I woke her up.

I sighed and realized what I had to do. We had done it before. I could handle her meager weight.

I started down the long road, beginning to walk home. I’d come for my bike tomorrow. Until then getting Mia home safely was my main focus. I’d have to wake her to get home on the motorbike, and I didn’t want to do that to her.

She stirred in my arms and snuggled further into my shirt, and my heart skipped a beat as I stared down at her angelic face. No words could describe how beautiful she was to me. I didn’t care if she was sick or crying. She would always be stunningly beautiful to me.

It was a ten-mile walk, but I would gladly and willingly walk thousands of miles if I could stay here forever. With her in my arms, sleeping against me.

When we reached her house—or our house, I guess I should now say—I opened the door to a very concerned Melanie, whose almond-shaped eyes were wide and worried.

She looked at her daughter and opened the door further for me to walk in.

“What happened?” she whispered, giving her daughter a concerned look. She didn’t want to wake her either.

I didn’t know what was wrong yet, but something must’ve happened at Hunter’s house. So I just shook my head and whispered, “I’m sure she’ll tell you tomorrow.”

Then I slowly walked up the stairs trying not to jostle her too much and wake her from her sleep. She needed as much as she could get. The more sleep she got, the easier it would be for her to deal with things tomorrow.

When we reached her room, I laid her down and undid the covers, putting the thick comforter over her. I sat down next to her, smoothing her hair away from her face and staring down at her sleepy figure.

She stirred, and her eyes briefly cracked open. “Ash?” she whispered, and I gulped. She was the only one that ever called me ‘Ash’, and I loved it.

“Yeah, it’s me, Mia,” I whispered back, still stroking her hair back in a soothing manner.

“Thank you,” she said, snuggling into her pillow and closing her eyes again. “Thank you for always being there. Thank you for everything.”