Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Seven

“We’re going on a date,” Ashton announced Saturday morning as I cleaned off my desk and tried to organize a stack of worksheets from school that I had sorely neglected.

I looked up at him in shock, sluggishly processing his words, before I snorted. “Like hell we are.”

I went to move past him downstairs to the trashcan, but when I made it to the doorway, he moved both his arms so I was pinned against the wall between them. He leant down so there was barely any space between them, and his lips almost brushed against mine as he spoke slowly and gently. “Your mom and my dad think it’s a good idea, and they’ve been on my case about it all week. It’s one day. We’re going.”

“I don’t want to,” I told him defiantly. Lord knew what he’d try if I agreed to this date.

“Look, your mom begged me, okay? And I live under her roof, so I’m not too eager to disappoint her. Look, if I promise I won’t try anything, will you go out with me? We’ll just go out as friends.”

I narrowed my eyes to slits. “How do I know you’re not lying?”

He grinned. “You don’t. I guess you’ll just have to trust me.”

I sighed, weighing my options. I didn’t want to, but if it made my mom happy, then I had to. “Fine. Give me five minutes.”

Before he had time to reply, I ducked under his arms and shut the door in his face. I quickly locked it and turned to my closet, throwing on a pair of jeans and a plaid button down shirt. I had no one to impress. Ashton had seen me in sweats and baggy t-shirts. If anything, this was an improvement.

Finally I added some lip-gloss and threw my hair up into a chignon.

When I was done, Ashton was still waiting outside like a guard. He raised an eyebrow. “About time. I thought for a minute there you were actually making the clothes.”

I slapped his arm, but couldn’t stop the laugh that came. I walked past him down the stairs and into the deserted kitchen.

“What are you doing?” Ashton asked from behind me.

I cocked an eyebrow. “Making breakfast,” I said in a ‘duh’ tone.

He waved it away. “Don’t bother. We’re going to the Coffee Shack, we’ll get breakfast there.”

I sighed. “Fine. But we’re taking my car. There’s no way I’m going on that death machine again.”

He scoffed. “Uh, yes, you are.”

I shook my head, and said in a matter-of-fact tone, “There is no way you’re getting me on that motorcycle.”

He raised an eyebrow with the smallest smirk. “Wanna bet?”