Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Ten

Mia’s POV –

“Okay, Mia, I have a serious question to ask you,” Hunter said the next day at school as I hurriedly got my book out for first period. I was running seriously late, and I didn’t have time for a conversation. But since this was Hunter, the guy I called my boyfriend, I think it was worth getting a tardy for algebra.

I turned to him with upraised eyebrows, my stomach churning. “Yes?”

“Would you like to meet my parents? Well, my mom and stepdad, at least. My mom’s been hounding to meet you, and I’d really like you to meet my family,” he told me, taking a gulp of air after his spiel.

Meet his family? His parents? Oh. My. God. I could not do that! I wasn’t a parent-meeting girl. I wasn’t good at formalities and coming off nice to parents. I’d never had to do that before. I’d already known Ashton’s dad by the time we started going out, and they didn’t even know Ash and I were dating! How was I supposed to meet parents?

“That’s… kind of a big deal, right?” I queried, leaning against the locker and looking into his muddy-brown eyes.

He grinned. “Don’t worry. My mom’s really laidback and nice. You guys will get along great. And my stepdad’s okay as well. And my siblings will be cool as well. You don’t have to worry about them.”

I gulped. “Um, yeah, sure. I can do that. When? Friday night?”

He grinned, seeming truly happy with my answer. Was he afraid I’d say no? I mean, I may be afraid of meeting parents, but I’d never say no! “Yeah. Friday night would be great. You don’t have anything to worry about. Trust me.”

He leant down and pecked me on the lips softly, his arms loosely wrapped around my waist. He tasted like mint, and his lips were as soft as feathers, moving against mine perfectly. I wanted to stay there forever, pressed up against the lockers and enjoying the taste and feel of him.

I sighed when we broke apart. “Wow, your parents. That’s kinda huge.” I laughed, when deep inside my nerves were wired. This was a big deal for me. I’d never done something like this before. I could only imagine the dozens of embarrassing things I could do over the course of the night.

“Please don’t worry about them, Mia,” Hunter said, smoothing my hair with a hand and cupping my cheek gently and sweetly. “They’ll love you. Just as much as I do.”

I nodded, and hugged him. Over his shoulder I spotted Ashton leaning against the lockers, thumbs hooked through his backpack, his face completely impassive.

He was staring right at me.

~          *         ~

“I’m meeting his parents, I’m meeting his parents, I’m meeting his parents,” I chanted to everyone at the lunch-table when I got there, needing to get it out in the open. I sat down in a chair and put my bag on the table, breathing heavily. Throughout the course of the day, reality had really set in, and now it consumed most of my thoughts. I was seriously going to meet the people that had raised Hunter! If we got married—which was a long time away, but I’m a girl—this first impression would mean everything. This could dictate the relationship.