Cupid's Assistant - Chapter One

******SEQUEL TO CUPID'S INCORPORATED. DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THAT. THANK YOU!******

If I had to harbor a guess at what I thought would happen my first day of senior year, this would not have been up there in the 'most-likely-to-happen' list.

         I wasn’t expecting to be living with my mom, her boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend. I wouldn’t have expected to also be walking in to school with that afore-mentioned ex-boyfriend—not that we even talked beyond the occasional, ‘Hey, can you pass the salt?’ at the dinner table.

         I couldn’t blame him, though. After I had broken up with him three weeks ago—the day before he was scheduled to move into my house, might I add—both of us had been heartbroken.

         And it was my fault.

         We walked through the gates of Preston High, and I sighed and looked around the familiar high school that I hadn’t seen in three months. It all looked the same, with bright red lockers, cheery yellow plastered walls, some inspirational posters, and a bustling student body of one thousand students. It was big, the best public school around, and everyone milled around, catching up with friends, texting on phones, and making out with their boyfriends in front of their locker.

How I wished I was part of the latter.

         I shifted my backpack awkwardly as Ashton started to make his way to the administration office in the west wing, his feet dragging along the scuffed ground and his head hung down as everyone gave him stares. I couldn't blame them, with chocolate brown eyes that melted hearts, blonde hair that flopped into his eyes adorable, a killer British accent, and a lean, tall body, he was model material. He had caught the attention of every girl at the humble school.

         “Hey, Ashton,” I called out, my heart palpitating wildly in my chest. Speaking to him still caused butterflies to fly in my stomach.

         He turned to me, his expression unreadable. “Yeah?”

         “Come find me after you’re done and I’ll help you with your schedule and introduce you to a couple of people,” I told him, hoping he wouldn’t reject me in front of everybody. I knew he was hurting - just as much I was - but he wouldn't do that to me, would he?

         But Ashton was a nice guy, so instead of yelling at me and rejecting me and telling me where I could shove my friendly offer, instead he threw me a small smile, nodded and thanked me in that deep, velvety accent of his.

         And it made me fall in love with him even more.

         He walked off, and I turned around just as someone crash-tackled me, almost tipping me off-balance and slamming me into a particularly harsh-looking metal locker.

         “Hey, Charlie,” I said, already knowing who it was before I spotted her face.

         She looked at me, her platinum-blonde hair falling in effortless waves around her face and down onto her shoulders. Her pretty hazel eyes glittered with mischief. “Hey, Mia! Welcome back to school! Senior year, baby!”