Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Nineteen

Hunter fell back, his head cracking against the pavement, and my heart plummeted in my chest. That hit did not look good. It looked like it hurt a lot.

He regained his balance and once again got to his feet, staggering slightly, as his chin started to darken from the punch and a thin treacle of blood slipped down his cheek.

         “Ashton, don’t!” I cried, horrified at his actions. I know he’s meant to be a bad-boy, but I honestly never thought he was violent like this.

         Of course, Ashton acted as if he hadn’t heard me, and lunged forward for Hunter. They went tumbling onto the grass beneath, and they were lost in a tangled mess of limbs that I couldn’t make out.

         I yelped and stepped forward, hopelessly trying to separate them. It was no use. I had no idea whose collar I was grabbing or which boy I was yelling at.

         My strength was no match for two irate, testosterone-filled teenage boys.

         I grabbed onto the back of a shirt—I had no idea whose shirt it was—and yanked it so that Ashton stumbled back. Of course he would be the one winning the fight. Hunter wasn’t a fighter. He was more gentle and kind. And Ashton had ruined that.

         “Ashton, stop,” I said sternly, looking into his brown eyes.

         “Mia, let me go, now,” he growled, and my heart stuttered in my chest.

         He yanked his shirt out of his grip and resumed beating the crap out of Hunter. What could I do? I looked around desperately for help, my eyes skittering around the deserted street. Could nobody hear what was happening?

         Just then someone came sprinting out of the house.

         It was Henry, and he dove into the fray, yanking his son to his feet and away from Hunter, who was crumpled on the ground in a ball, groaning in pain. Henry had done a much better job than I ever could have, and I was grateful he had come to the rescue, even if I couldn’t.

         I rushed forward to Hunter and knelt beside him, my eyes raking him for any major injuries he may have sustained in the beating. He had a few bruises and contusions, but no broken bones as far as I could see. But I wasn’t a doctor, and I didn’t know.

         “Are you okay?” I whispered, my eyes filling with tears upon seeing how much pain he was obviously in.

         He nodded and emitted a low growl of pain. “I’ll be fine.”

         “Do you want me to call an ambulance?” I asked, not sure what to do. What the hell did you do in a situation like this? In the movies they made it seem effortless, like everyone just immediately knew what to do. But I had no idea!

         He shook his head. “No, thank you. I’ll get home. Mom and James are doctors.”