Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Eleven

Friday night had to be one of the most nerve-wracking nights of my life.

I was meeting my boyfriend’s parents.

Sure, the boyfriend wasn’t Ashton, but still.

I looked at myself in the mirror, twisting this way and that to examine myself from all angles.

I was wearing a flowery cocktail dress that was both respectful and charming. My hair was curled and clipped back in certain parts, and I had splashed on a light amount of makeup; only foundation and some lip-gloss, as well as smoky eye shadow and mascara. That should suffice, right? Not too much, not too little. I wouldn’t look like I belonged on a street corner, but I also didn’t look like I hadn’t attempted to look nice, either.

And now it was just waiting for Hunter to show up. I had offered to drive there, but he had said he wanted to pick me up. I had agreed.

“You look nice,” a voice chimed from behind me, and I spun around wide-eyed to see Ashton standing behind me in the doorway, hands in his jeans pockets. “Of course, I always wished it was my parents you were going to meet, but I know that’s just not possible for the two of us.”        

“Ashton…”

He held up his hands in a surrendering manner, shaking his head with a small chuckle. “It’s okay. I’m not going to dive into some soppy story about how I feel like it should be me you’re dressing up for. I just came to wish you luck and tell you… you look beautiful.” The last part came out almost reluctantly, like it had been drawn from him against his will.

I looked down at my dress in an attempt to hide my blush. Why did he have to do this to me? Did he not know how hard it made things for me? Was I really supposed to just go out and meet my boyfriend’s parents now after my ex—of whom I was still totally hung up on—had said something like that?

“Thanks,” I muttered, just as the doorbell rang, the tinny noise echoing through the house.

He threw me a crooked smile, though it looked fake and a little wobbly. At least he was trying to be supportive. I appreciated that from him. “That must be Hunter.”

I nodded and grabbed my sparkly matching purse, slipping past him. I made my way downstairs and to the door, where Hunter was there waiting expectantly, talking to Henry about business. Something about the stock market and the American dollar, or something. It was all very smart and technical.

When he spotted me his eyes glazed over. “Mia, you look gorgeous.”

I smiled at him. “Thank you. You ready to go?”

He nodded and paid his goodbyes to Henry and my mom. I waved goodbye to the trio who were standing in the doorway, my mom teary-eyed, Henry looking pleasantly pleased and Ashton looking angry but obviously trying not to show it, and we made our way down the drive. He opened the car door for me and helped me in, before going to his side.