Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Seventeen

“My relationship with Ashton?” I asked, blood rushing through my ears as I gulped. Hot and cold flushes traveled through my body, and I struggled to form a coherent sentence. I immediately opted for the denying option, though. “I don’t have a relationship with Ashton.”

She gave me a pointed look that told me she knew I was lying, and that she should’ve known it all along. “Mia, he told me everything. About summer and about the dating and about the breakup, then everything that’s happened since Henry and Ashton moved in.”

I sighed and took a seat in the living room, which was situated right near the front door. “Okay,” I said finally, running a hand through my thick mane of hair. “What did he say?”

“He told me that he was in love with you and that he thought you felt the same way, but that you had told him you couldn’t be with him because of Henry and my circumstances. Is that true, Mia? Have you and Ashton really been in a relationship this whole time, and you didn’t tell me?”

She phrased it like a question, but I knew it wasn’t one. She knew that Ashton and I had been involved. I could see it from the knowing glint in her dark eyes. I nodded, knowing that now it was best to be honest. Why bother denying it when it was obvious she knew everything? I just couldn’t believe he had gone as far as to tell my mother about us. “Um, yeah.”

“Is that why you dated Hunter?” she queried, leaning against the table as she crossed her arms over her chest. “Was he a rebound from Ashton? A way to get over him?”

When she said it aloud, it sounded like the most horrible, terrible thing a person could ever do. I had used and manipulated Hunter as a way of getting over Ashton. I hadn’t realized it at the time, but now I heard it coming from my mother, it sounded exactly like something I’d done, even without meaning to.

Wow, I was one awful human being.

I was totally going to hell.

“I… I guess so,” I mumbled, looking down as a shameful blush stained my cheeks. “But I do like him, Mom.”

“But you like Ashton more?” she guessed, reading my thoughts.

I nodded slowly. “I’m sorry. I know it’s wrong, and I tried to stop. Hence Hunter. But I just can’t help it. It’s like we’re drawn to each other. Of course nothing is going to happen between us, because you’re with Henry and I would never do anything to jeopardize your relationship. I learnt my lesson over summer. Any now you guys are getting married in December, so it definitely can’t happen and…” I knew I was rambling, but I couldn’t stop.

“Honey,” my mother said, cutting me off, looking scared and hesitant at whatever she was about to say. Was she going to kick me out for this? “I trust you. And if you love Ashton—and it’s clear he feels the same way—then I don’t think it’s right to lead Hunter on.”

“I know. I’m gonna break it off at school tomorrow,” I promised. This had gone on long enough. I needed to be mature and face up to the drama I had caused.

She nodded. “But we still have the matter of Ashton to discuss.”