Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Three

The next morning, Ashton left my side at school before I had the chance to talk to him. I sighed and made my way towards the library. I wasn’t in the mood for company, and I had Bio homework that desperately demanded my attention. That’s right. Homework on the second day. Just imagine how much of a gem my Bio teacher is.

I stepped into the cavernous air-conditioned room and grabbed a study table near the back, near a stack of history textbooks. The library was pretty big, with lots of laptops and computers and shelving.

I sat down and started studying, and was lost in my own zone that consisted of enzymes and plant reproduction for twenty minutes, before someone pulled the chair out and sat down next to me.

I looked up to see Harper sitting across from me with an expectant eyebrow raised. Her electric-blue eyes flashed, and her soft brown hair was tied back into a tight braid. “Well, well, well. You avoiding us, Mia?”

I laughed and shook my head. “No,” I told her, gesturing to my textbook. I swept back some of my waist-length, raven hair. “I have homework due.”

She nodded in understanding. “Poor thing. Well, now that I have you alone, I kind of had a question I wanted to ask you.”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “Shoot.”

“Is there something going on between you and Ashton?” Harper asked, staring at me with her killer baby-blues. Wow, I’d love to have eyes that intense. They really were amazing.

I sighed and shook my head, wishing I could answer differently. “No.”

She bit her lip and considered my cryptic answer and hesitation. She was very good at observation. She could be a detective if she wanted. “Was there?”

Besides Charlie, Harper was my best friend, and we never kept secrets from each other. All in all, our group was pretty tight. We knew each other’s secrets, and we knew each other better than the backs of our hands. I would feel comfortable telling Carrie or Averie, or even Lincoln. The only person I wouldn’t tell was Mike, but only because he would playfully tease me about it for the rest of the year.

But I wasn’t sure if it was even my secret to tell. I mean, sure, it involved me majorly, but it also involved Ashton. Would he want others knowing?

No, Mia, that’s not fair, a voice chided in my head. Harper is your best friend! Don’t let a boy stop you from being close.

With that in mind, I nodded. “We were involved for about a month and a half during summer,” I admitted, downcasting my eyes and staring at a packet of Bio homework I still had to complete before Thursday.

“Let me guess, you broke it off because your parents were dating and you didn’t want to have to sneak around,” Harper predicted, smiling a little. She knew me so well.

I nodded. “Yep,” I said, popping the ‘p’. I tried to be light-hearted about it, but the truth was it hurt like hell.