Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Nine

“Hey, Hunter,” I said, stepping up to him and pecking him on the cheek that Monday morning right before lunch. I stepped through a giggling gaggle of freshmen and towards the handsome  boy.

He gave me a breathtaking smile as my lips parted from his cheek. “Hey, Mia. What’s up?”

“Well, I was wondering, did you want to meet my friends?” I asked curiously, looping my arm through his as we made our way inside the crowded cafeteria and took our place in line.

Hunter looked over at me and then towards my usual lunch table, where everyone was sitting down and conversing with each other. Right now Averie was in the middle of a story, and everyone was laughing as she gesticulated animatedly and told some kind of joke. Even Ashton was nodding and laughing along. I immediately lifted my eyes from his face and back to Hunter. “Are you sure?”

I nodded affirmatively, faking a smile. “I really want them to meet you.”

He grinned and kissed my temple, and my eyes fluttered shut at the feel of his soft lips. Moments like this made me feel like maybe I didn’t need to be hung up over Ashton. I had a good guy right here, one who treated me well and respected me. “Then I will most definitely be there.”

I smiled and collected my lunch, which consisted of a green apple, a bag of pretzels, and a strawberry milk, then led him over to the table, standing there awkwardly while I waited for my friends to notice us there and look up. When they did, they all looked up at him with wide and curious eyes. Ashton looked less curious and more distasteful, though, his chocolate eyes slit suspiciously.

“Guys, this is Hunter Hastings. Hunter, this is Charlie Wickers, Averie O’Connor, Mike Taylor, Ashton Williams, Carrie Barker, Lincoln Fisher and finally Harper Moore.”

There was a chorus of curious ‘Hi’s’ from everyone as they studied Hunter and sized him up, their eyes giving him a full run-down as if he were a science experiment under a microscope.

“Is it okay if he sits with us today at lunch?” I asked, placing my tray on the table and pulling up an extra red plastic chair for Hunter to sit at. After a moment’s hesitation, he sat down in the proffered chair. “I wanted him to meet you guys.”

Everyone nodded—well, besides Ashton, of course—and we sat down, so that Hunter was in between Harper and me. Harper would be sweet to him, so I had no worries.

“So, Hunter, where did you move from?” Averie asked curiously, taking a sip of her sparkling water and then putting the white cap back on the bottle and swallowing.

“Chicago,” he said, giving her a friendly smile.

“Are you a senior, too?” Mike asked curiously, taking a piece of pepperoni off of his pizza and popping it into his mouth. “Or does Mia like younger guys?”

I gave him a pointed glare, while Hunter chuckled. He handled them well, I had to admit that. I was beginning to think nothing ever fazed Hunter Hastings. He still had that easy smile and friendly eyes. “No, I’m a senior, man.”