Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Twenty-Three

“I’m taking you on a date,” Ashton informed me Friday afternoon when we both arrived home.

         I cocked an eyebrow at his cockiness. “Are you now?”

         He nodded and said, “Yep. Tonight. So get ready.”

         I decided to humor him. “Okay.”

         I hopped of the island bench I was currently sitting on and traipsed up the stairs and into my room, shutting the wooden door behind me.

         When I was in my room, I dressed in a loose aqua tank top and denim shorts, before slipping on some sneakers and tying my hair into a messy bun. I wasn’t sure what kind of place we were going, so I just picked something casual but pretty.

         I added a little makeup and then made my way downstairs, where Ashton was leaning against the island waiting for me, absentmindedly swinging his keys around his index finger and humming some off-key, unknown tune to himself. It was definitely adorable.

         “Can we please take my car?” I bargained, batting my eyelashes at him in a hopeless attempt to stop him from making me ride on the Death Machine. Unlike most girls, who rode a bike once and immediately loved it, I was afraid that I’d always be scared of them. They just seemed incredibly unsafe.

         But, hey, not all of us can like terribly dangerous death traps, right?

         He gave me a sheepish smile and shook his head. “Nope. You’ve been riding on them for five months, Mia, and I’m not going to let you reverse all that progress now.”

         I gave him a dirty look and harrumphed. “Fine.”

         He grinned and led me outside, locking the door behind us. By now the sun was going down, and the sky was darkening to a pretty purple twilight.

         He led me to the glossy black machine and hopped on with no hesitation, as if it wasn’t going to eventually be the death of him. I, however, still gripped him like a lifeline as I gingerly made my way on, afraid I’d tip off the other side and injure myself.

         He started the engine and immediately drove off. I gripped him tightly around the waist and pressed myself against him as we rode down the street and into a part of town I’d never actually been in before. Wow, and I thought I knew my town well. It seemed that in the two months Ashton had lived here, he knew more hotspots than I did living here for eighteen years.

         Finally he pulled up outside another woodsy area, similar to the one the cave had guarding it. Palm fronds and shrubs rose up from the ground, and I hopped off the motorbike and took Ashton’s hand, which was warm and calloused.

         “Where are we going?” I asked as we continued to walk, making my way under vines and low-hanging branches, making sure none hit my body.