Chapter 20

(6th year) 

Kings Cross Station wasn't as crowded as it normally was. Which was expected, now that the Ministry has finally admitted that You-Know-Who is back, no one feels safe. 

You had to beg your parents to let you go back. There was no way you were going to miss an entire year with your friends. 

You spotted Hannah and Ernie in the crowd and ran towards them. 

"(Y/n)!" Hannah squealed as she saw you, and ran to give you a hug. 

"It's so good to see you!" You say. 

You said goodbye to your parents and boarded the train with your friends. 

"This year's going to be interesting. I can feel it." Hannah says. You smile at her. 

It was so amazing to you, that her and Ernie were together for so long. There was no drama in their relationship that you were aware of. You envied them.

"I hope so. Did you hear Professor Snape is the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? He finally got his dream job." Ernie laughs. 

"And the new Potions teacher is Horace Slughorn, right?" You say. Hannah nods. 

"Our parents had him as a teacher I guess. Dad liked him. Mom didn't really get along with him." She says.  You nod.

*.*.*.*.*.*

You had a free period instead of Potions this year, probably because you didn't get an O on your OWLs. 

You wander down the hall, trying to decide what to do, when you see Harry and Ron laughing and watching everyone walk down the halls. 

"Hey guys, what's up?" You say as you walk towards them. Ron looks confused, but Harry smiles and waves. 

"Nothing really, we have a free period. What's up with you?" He asks. 

"Same here." You say. Suddenly your conversation is interrupted by Professor McGonagall. 

You smile when she says that you in fact don't need an O to take Advanced Potions.

As the three of you enter the classroom, Professor Slughorn greets you excitedly. He tells you to grab a book from the cupboard and join the class. 

You grabbed your book, and all of the sudden you're shoved to the side. You watch humorously as Harry and Ron fight for the book in better condition. Ron wins, and Harry looks defeated. 

"Here, have mine." You whisper. He shakes his head. 

"No it's fine. Thanks though." He says.

Slughorn was showing the class a potion that you immediately recognized from fourth year: Amortentia. 

You look up and make eye contact with Malfoy accidentally. He smirks at you, then turns his attention back to Slughorn. You can't help thinking about the scent you could smell. It was foul, but familiar. You couldn't quite figure it out. 

Slughorn had starte a contest: the first to create a successful Draught of Living Death would win a small vial of liquid luck. 

You knew it would probably be Malfoy or Granger winning, so you didn't try to rush to win. 

You ducked as beans flew across the classroom. No one could get them cut in half. You gasped as yours hit Ron in the back of the head.

"Ouch!" He hissed.

"Sorry!" You whisper. He turns around without a word. 

Soon Harry is finished and wins the vial. You hold back a laugh when you see Hermione's face. You had heard her arguing with Harry about something while they were brewing. 

As you walk out of the classroom, someone grabs your wrist and pulls you away from the crowd. You turn to see Malfoy. 

"How was your summer?" He asks. 

"Fine, thanks. Yours?" You ask. You feel uncomfortable. Your brain keeps telling you to run but you don't want to be rude. 

"Not that great. Do you want to know what I smelled from that Amortentia?" He asks. You sigh.

"Listen Malfoy-" You start, but he interrupts you. 

"At first I thought it was just vanilla, like I smelled when you made it. But it was also the stench of many, many failed potions." He smirks. You stop breathing for a moment. 

That was the exact scent you had smelled.