Chapter 8

It was the day everyone was set to go home. Everyone sat in the great hall silently while Dumbledore made his final speech. There was a heaviness in the air. You could barely breathe.

You wanted to pay attention, but you really couldn't. The table felt empty without him beside you. This was the first time you had been in the great hall since he died. It was actually the first time you left your room.

Dumbledore finished his speech and the students silently shuffled out to get their trunks. You got yours and you were about to walk out to the train, but suddenly you decided to do something else. You dropped your trunk and ran towards Gryffindor Common room. 

Just as you arrived, Professor Dumbledore was walking out. He smiled at you sadly and held the door for you. You ran up the stairs to the boys dorms, and stopped when you noticed movement in one of the rooms.

"Harry." Your voice sounded foreign and hoarse. He turned from his bed, surprised to see you.

"Hey (y/n), how are you?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

"What really happened to him?" You asked, your voice trembling. Harry sighed and sat on the bed, then motioned for you to sit next to him.

"The cup was a portkey. Cedric and I decided we'd win together, so we grabbed it at the same time. we ended up in a grave yard. We'd barely been there a minute when he was killed." He said.

"With the killing curse?" You asked, horror ran through you. He nodded.

"It was Voldemort. He's back." Harry said. You shook your head, tears streaming down your face. There was no way. You knew, deep down, Harry was telling the truth, but you didn't want to believe it. To think that Cedric had been murdered, instead of the tragic accident that everyone thought had happened, was too much for you to handle.

"It's all my fault." You whispered, your voice breaking.

"What? No it's not. It's my fault. I couldn't save him." Harry argued, resting a hand on your shoulder.

"No! It's my fault! I encouraged him to join this stupid tournament, I made sure he was prepared. What did that do? It got him murdered!" You sobbed. Harry put an arm around your shoulders, but quickly dropped it. 

"I'm so sorry. But it really isn't your fault. I...I saw him, after he died." Harry said. Your head snapped up.

"Harry Potter, you'd better not be messing with me." You warned.

"No, I really did! I fought Voldemort that night. As we dueled, my parents, an old man, and Cedric appeared. They held him off so I could run. But before I did, Cedric asked me to take his body back to his father, and also to tell you he loved you." He said. You let out a strangled breath.

"T-thank you for telling me." you cried. He nodded. 

You walked out of his room feeling heavy, but part of you felt relieved knowing what had really happened. 

You joined Hannah silently on the train, and didn't speak a word the entire ride home.