Chapter 18

"You're back later than usual, again. Tell me the truth, is there something going on with you and Malfoy?" Hannah bombards you as soon as you enter the dorm room.

"What?" You panic. Could you really lie to your best friend? One look at her face told you that the answer was no. 

"(Y/n)(L/n) I want an answer now." She demands. You sigh. 

"Yeah... there is kind of a thing... I guess. But I promised to keep it a secret." You said. Hannah looks appalled for a moment, but then composes herself. 

"I can't believe you." She mutters. You can feel anger boiling up inside of you. 

"What? That I'm happy? Is that a bad thing now?" You yell. She sighs. 

"It's not that-" 

"Oh, so it's because he's a Slytherin? Or just because he's a Malfoy?" You demand. Hannah seems furious. 

"No! It's because it hasn't even been a year since Cedric died and you're already all over some other guy. A guy that tried to steal you from Cedric and was absolutely horrible to you. How do you think Cedric would have acted if you had died instead? Not like this." She rants. 

The guilt takes over quickly. She was right. How could you be so selfish? 

Sobs wrack your body as the guilt buries itself deeper into your mind. Hannah sighs and walks over to you.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted you to realize what you were doing." She says. You don't answer. 

Cedric had loved you. And you had completely disregarded that he ever even existed just because someone else was paying attention to you. 

*.*.*.*

The thought of meeting Malfoy again made you sick to your stomach. But you had to go. 

"Hey (Y/n)." He greets cheerfully. You felt your stomach turn. You were stuck in a horrible decision of breaking Malfoy's heart or forgetting Cedric. But at the moment you cared more about Cedric. 

You don't answer his greeting. You were sure you looked terrible: you didn't get any sleep the night before, and barely tried to look presentable. You also couldn't eat much without getting sick to your stomach. The guilt was taking over your life, and you had to put a stop to it as soon as possible. 

"Are you feeling okay?" Malfoy asks, walking over to you. You take a step back. He searches your eyes, looking for answers, obviously hurt. 

"Malfoy... I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry." You say, your voice breaking. 

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"I can't be close with you anymore." You say sadly, looking away from him. 

"That's ridiculous." He snaps. You sigh, trying to hold back tears. But it doesn't work.

"Cedric-" Is all you can choke out before the tears start. Malfoy's face softens. 

"What about him?" He asks. He takes a step forward to comfort you, but then stops himself and steps back again. 

"I-I can't do this to him. H-he hasn't even b-been gone a year and I'm all over the guy who tried to steal his girlfriend." You sob. 

"(Y/n)..." He trails off. You felt horrible for doing this to him, but you still loved Cedric.

"I'm sorry. I'm a horrible person for doing this to you." You cry. Suddenly you decide you can't take being in that room anymore, so you take off down the hall, not caring what punishment Snape might have for you if Draco told him.