Chapter 35

Katniss P.O.V.

"Are you sure you're alright, honey?" Peeta asks as he helps me stand.

"I'm fine," I tell hm. But I make the mistake of wincing when my foot hits the floor.

"I'll go see if a nurse can bring a wheelchair in here for you," Peeta tells me.

"Peeta, I don't need a wheelchair," I say with a small laugh. "I promise, baby. I'm fine."

"At least let me see if I can get you crutches to take home."

I shake my head. "I'm alright. I promise."

Peeta sighs and wraps an arm around my waist. "Let's get you home." Peeta helps me hobble up to the front desk so I can sign out. I fill out all the papers, and Peeta helps me out to the car.

On the way home, Peeta reaches over and takes my hand in his.

"I bet the kids can't wait to see you," Peeta tells me.

I smile over at him. "I can't wait to see them either," I say excitedly. Peeta chuckles and kisses then back of my hand.

As soon as we pull up, Willow comes running out to the car.

"Mommy!" Willow screams as Peeta helps me out of the car. I look down at her and smile.

"Hi, baby girl," I say. Peeta wraps an arm around my waist to steady me, and Willow hugs my legs.

"I missed you, Momma."

"Told you," Peeta mumbles. I laugh and lay my head over onto his shoulder.

"I miss you too, Willow."

"Come on," Peeta says as he bends down to pick Willow up. "Let's get Mommy inside." Willow wraps her little arms around Peeta's neck, and we start inside the house. We step in the door, and I see Rye sleeping in Haymitch's arms.

"How long has he been asleep?" I ask Haymitch.

"A couple hours," Haymitch replies. Peeta and I start laughing.

"He never sleeps that long for us," I say. "He's usually awake within an hour." Peeta helps me over to the couch, and Haymitch hands Rye to me.

"Thank you," I tell Haymitch. "You have no clue how much this means to us."

He shrugs. "It's not like I enjoy watching the little rugrats."

I laugh and look down at Rye. "Gosh. You must've really knocked this kid out. He's never slept this long. Not even at night time."

Peeta chuckles. "Trust me. He'll wake up when he gets hungry."

"Kid eats like a pig," Haymitch says.

Willow starts laughing. "Grandpa, Rye is not a piggie."

"Willow," Peeta laughs. "That's not what he meant. He just meant that Rye eats a lot." Willow makes a face.

"But, Daddy," Willow says, "piggies are fat, and Rye is not fat."

We all start laughing at Willow, and she makes a mean face.

"Quit it," Willow whines. "That was not funny."

"We're sorry, Willow, but you're just too cute," I tell her. Rye starts to cry, and I look down at him. "I think someone's got a dirty diaper."

"Here." Peeta says as he holds his arms out.

"No, that's okay," I say as I stand up.

"You got him?"

"I'm fine, Peeta," I say as I start up the stairs. "I'm not hurting as bad as I was."

I make it up to the nursery and lay Rye down on the changing table. Rye looks up at me and smiles widely.

"Hi, baby boy," I say softly. Rye lets out a raspy giggle. "Did you miss me?" I ask Rye as I change his diaper.

Rye reaches for me and makes the noise he does when he gets impatient.

"Okay. Okay. I'm trying to hurry," I tell him. Rye starts whining and kicking his little legs out. Rye's hands are balled into little fists, and his face is as red as fire.

"Momma's trying," I tell Rye as I button his onesie.

That's when it happens.

"Mama."

I stop what I'm doing and look down at Rye. My heart fills with joy as my eyes fill with tears.

The feeling of having your baby call you Mama for the first time is indescribable. It's even better when it's their first word.

"Rye," I say as I pick him up off the changing table. "Good job, baby boy." I kiss the top of Rye's head, and he quits fussing."

"Katniss," Peeta says as he walks into he nursery. I turn to face him with Rye still held tight in my arms. "I was just coming up to check on you, baby."

"I'm fine," I say as I walk over to Peeta. "Where's Willow?"

"Downstairs pouting," Peeta replies. "She wanted to go home with Haymitch when he left, and I told her that she needed to stay home."

I laugh and shake my head. Rye grabs my hair, and I look down at him.

"Rye," I coo. He looks up at me. "Tell Daddy what you just said," I say.

"What are you talking about?" Peeta asks me as Rye just stares up at me.

"Rye, say 'Mama.'" Rye laughs and looks over at Peeta.

Peeta gives me a look. "Are you sure he said Momma?"

"Yes," I laugh. "He did. Come on, Rye. Say 'Mama.'" I look back at Peeta. "I promise he said it."

"Sure he did," Peeta says slowly as he takes Rye from me. "Why don't you go lay down, honey? I think some of those drugs they gave you in the hospital are still affecting you."

"Shut up, brat," I tell Peeta as I playfully punch his arm. "But now that you mention it, I do feel like taking a nap."

Peeta chuckles, and then kisses my lips. "Go on," he tells me. "I've got the kids."

"Thank you." I kiss Peeta's cheek before walking on over to our bedroom to lay down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I wake up, Peeta is sitting on the end of the bed with his head in his hands.

"Peeta?" I say softly as I sit up. He looks over at me, and I can tell he's been crying. "What's wrong, honey?" I ask him as my heart starts racing.

"Please don't get mad at me, Katniss," Peeta says to me. I crawl over to the edge of the bed where Peeta's sitting.

"What did you do?" I ask him. "Did you decide to give the kids away?" I tease, trying to get him to smile.

Peeta swallows hard and reaches over to take my hand in his.

"I told Willow about the Hunger Games."